Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
I think it could be done with the wiper tray out but I think you will need to remove the cross brace across the top of the radiator and remove the fans and possibly the radiator; hopefully not the condenser. I haven't done this but have had the heads off to change the HG's and a cracked exhaust manifold.
Here is a picture from that job.

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
Once you remove the belts, it looks like you will have plenty of clearance on the passenger side. I believe the 3.0 is shorter than the 2.4 after comparing the two in my driveway. It makes sense that a 6 cylinder engine would be shorter than a 4 cylinder setup. The problem on Gen 3 mini-vans is that the width from front to back of the engine compartment is a little narrow. I'd suspend the tranny from above if possible. I've used a 2X4 from front to back and a chain on a bolt in the tranny case. That may be tougher because of the front cross member being off, so you may need to rig something up. Supporting the tranny with a jackstand on concrete from below is also a possibility but can sometimes get in the way. You should not need to remove the driver's side tranny mount. Also, looking at my 3.0 in the 96, I see they have engine lifting eyelits on the left rear and right front of the engine. I don't think this will be too difficult a project. It is just all the stuff that needs to be removed. Change the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump on the donor engine before dropping it in for an easier job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts