Allpar Forums banner

'96 GC trans trouble .... FYI

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Ray Green 
#1 ·
I had the 3-speed auto rebuilt in Jan '11 at 228k miles. It was trashed pretty bad including the planetarys. It's got 247k on it now and I've had numerous incidents with it the past 22 months. Occasionally (like once a month) when cold, it wouldn't go into drive until I raised the rpms a little. On 3 occasions I had trouble when pulling away from a stoplight. It was still in 2 or 3 and I pulled the shifter down to low and proceeded. Also, when temps below 65, in the morning it doesn't want to do the 2-3 shift until it warms up a bit (half mile or so).

Just the other day, when I got off the interstate and the convertor unlocked, I had slippage when trying to accelerate. I was only a mile from home and I nursed it to where the tow truck could get it. It's at the shop now.

#2 ·
Fluid level check? Any external leakage? A leak can happen suddenly and cause slippage, but it sure sounds like this situation has been leading up to eventual failure.
Also sounds like an internal hydraulic pressure leakage which can cause delayed engagement and late shifts and converter clutch unlock.
If any of these 'numerous incidents' are documented on shop repair orders, you may have some warranty coverage or good-will help coming.
At 228K miles, I as a shop technician would seriously try to convince the owner to go with a fresh reman unit and radiator cooler (if plugged or restricted). It would just help protect both of us from problems down the road.
At that mileage, much internal hardware would appear to be beat and I would hate to have to make the bench call on whether to reuse the part or not.
Wait to hear from the shop and go with the best option.

#3 ·
Thanks RC. No fluid leakage and fluid was full. I didn't "blacken" it while nursuing the van home either. I replaced the engine (3.0L) cooling tubes this summer along with the radiator. I also added a tranny cooler while I had the front end apart. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome.

#4 ·
Update: I got the '96 GC back. The torque convertor had "come apart" according to the tranny shop. Although his warranty on rebuilds is only 12 months (mine lasted 22), he rebuilt it again and only charged me $125.00 which is his fee for a tranny service. He said he didn't want his shop getting a bad reputation for stuff not lasting.

#5 ·
That sounds very satisfactory. Hopefully he in turn can get some kind of reimbursement from his vendor for the failed TC.

#7 ·
chuzz said:
That's great news, Ray. You need to keep doing business with that shop. Apparently you've found one that stands behind their work, which is very rare nowadays.
Yea, I like them there. It's a small shop that the guy took over from his father so he's been part of the business all his life. My father ran and retired from his small town service station. I started pumping gas at 10, changing water & fuel pumps at 12 and was doing rebuilds at 14. I learned to appreciate the customer and this guy was evidently taught the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.