Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've previously posted this problem and followed through on the suggestions. But to no avail.

When I bought the van the parking brake didn't work as the cables were seized. And the ratchet on the pedal assembly was damaged. I replaced the pedal assembly with a used one from a low mileage wreck, and I had a shop replace all the cables with new, plus some new upgraded cable guides. I can tell that the brake shoes (drum) are making contact (only 20% wear), but not enough to hold the van on any kind of incline or when in gear.

During the recent winter tire changeover I asked the shop (not a Chrysler dealer) to pull the rear drums to make sure that the rear assembly wasn't installed backwards, or upside down. Still no satisfaction.

Anyone have any helpful advice to offer before I bite the bullet and go to an actual Chrysler dealership - and get a part-time job to pay for the visit?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. According to the two local shops that I've been to the brakes are all properly assembled, adjusted, and operating. According to my Haynes the parking brake auto-adjusts through the ratchet mechanism of the parking brake assembly. I'm guessing that if the end of the brake shoes that is controlled by the parking brake cables is touching the drum, and the brakes don't hold, then it may be that the other end of the brake shoes - the pivot end - is not close enough to the drum and therefore not enought surface area of the shoes is in contact with the drums. Wish I could easily get in there myself. I'm not a mechanic but I can usually work out how something works (or doesn't) by observing it for a couple of minutes.

And people ask me why I use my 75 Pontiac as a daily driver! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.