Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trans in one of my T&Cs had a bad case so I found another T&C that had a trans that worked. This summer I pulled the axles out and last week I pulled the trans out and put it in the other van. after installation the van will not move. I replaced the filter and fluid but no luck. I also put the TCM that came with the replacement trans in. When I put van in gear the engine speed changes slightly but thats all. Anyone know what maybe going on?

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Are you sure you put enough fluid in it? How about the filter? It has an o-ring on it and sometimes the old one will stay in and the new filter won't seal properly and will suck air instead of fluid.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chuzz said:
Are you sure you put enough fluid in it? How about the filter? It has an o-ring on it and sometimes the old one will stay in and the new filter won't seal properly and will suck air instead of fluid.
new filter and fluid. got old ring out when installing new filter.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Same year donor T&C?
Electronics won't keep it from going into Reverse and 2nd. Hydraulic or mechanical will.
Are the brakes locked up from sitting?
Does the engine speed changing slightly when put into gear feel like it did before? What happens when you add throttle?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ImperialCrown said:
Same year donor T&C?
Electronics won't keep it from going into Reverse and 2nd. Hydraulic or mechanical will.
Are the brakes locked up from sitting?
Does the engine speed changing slightly when put into gear feel like it did before? What happens when you add throttle?
yes same year, brakes are free since I drove it to the shop. speed only drops a couple of RPMs, nothing happens when adding throttle just engine revs up.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Any hydraulic line or cooler line (a quick check) pressure in Neutral?
Did you have to draw the torque converter up to the flexplate when installing the 4 bolts? To be seated correctly, the t/conv needs to be engaged into the pump tangs and then draw towards the engine as the bolts are tightened.
How about any TCM fault codes?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ImperialCrown said:
Any hydraulic line or cooler line (a quick check) pressure in Neutral?
Did you have to draw the torque converter up to the flexplate when installing the 4 bolts? To be seated correctly, the t/conv needs to be engaged into the pump tangs and then draw towards the engine as the bolts are tightened.
How about any TCM fault codes?
after I pulled the trans out if the donor I recessed the t/cconv in as far as I could.as when being installed I do not know what the mechanics did. how do I check the pressure on the cooler lines?

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Pull the cooler hoses off and aim them into a drain pan. One is supply, the other is return. Then have a helper start the vehicle and briefly put it in neutral.
You should have good ATF+4 flow out of one of the hoses. If not, something may be wrong with the front pump not working or the pump not primed? I believe that the engine-side cooler hose is the supply out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A.j. Schreiber said:
did you maybe miss something when installing the T/converter? Have you tried talking to it nicely? :lol:
I have told that van so many sweet things and even hugged it but still no good results. When I pulled the trans from the donor I did not remove the t/converter from the trans and even recessed it and locked it in with a piece of 2x2 with the rock cover.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Since you waited a while before transplanting the transmission, did you cover all of the ports and lines on it and on the van you were installing it on? If not, perhaps you've got some dirt dauber nests or something else clogging the lines.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chuzz said:
Since you waited a while before transplanting the transmission, did you cover all of the ports and lines on it and on the van you were installing it on? If not, perhaps you've got some dirt dauber nests or something else clogging the lines.
the donor had the shafts removed and rad removed 6 months prior. nothing was sealed after removals.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Hmmmm, I'd remove all of the lines and with an air compressor, try blowing some air through them and see what happens. There may be a blockage that you can push out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts