Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dgc has a mysterious electrical issue. The wiper self activate for a few sweeps. Is this a common quirk?

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
I have the phantom wipers on my '96 GC as well. I also have a horn that blows randomly, an inop cruise control and the "airbag" light on occasionally. I attribute all this to a bad clockspring. The airbag light will go off when the wheel is in the straight forward position but come on when you turn. I also have turn signals that work whenever they decide they want to! Seems it's never when I really need them.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
The airbag, cruise and horn problem are likely in the clockspring. A steering wheel puller would be needed to do that.
The turn signals and ghost wiper are likely in the multifunction switch. The column cover halves would just have to be separated for that.
Disconnecting the battery before both jobs would be recommended. Reset your clock when done.

·
Registered
517 Posts
OK Guys, enlighten me. What is "the clockspring"?

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
IC, I was hoping the MF switch would cure the turn signals but I didn't figure it would help the wipers. I've read about the R&R for the clockspring so you need the battery disconnected for about 30 minutes before proceeding to remove the airbag. A wheel puller I have .... had it for a long time and use it often.

gusc said:
OK Guys, enlighten me. What is "the clockspring"?
It's the device under the steering wheel that sends all the signals to the BCM. Chrysler products are notorious for them failing. My '96 probably still has an outstanding recall on it but it's probably far too old for Chrysler to honor it.

Clockspring is about $65.00 I think and fairly simple to replace if you have basic mechanical knowledge and a steering wheel puller.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks, I'm learning a lot of stuff now that I've moved up to a "newer '03"!

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
The clockspring converts the fixed wiring of the steering column so it can be fed to the rotating steering wheel electronics (cruise, horn, airbag, audio controls. etc.). It uses a spring that winds and unwinds as you turn the wheel (hence the name).

I don't know about Ray's 1996, but the 1998-2000 clockspring recall was regardless of mileage to replace a failed clockspring.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ImperialCrown said:
The airbag, cruise and horn problem are likely in the clockspring. A steering wheel puller would be needed to do that.
The turn signals and ghost wiper are likely in the multifunction switch. The column cover halves would just have to be separated for that.
Disconnecting the battery before both jobs would be recommended. Reset your clock when done.
IS the Multifunction switch is still a currently stocked Chrysler part and would you know its approx. price? The clockspring seems to be working just fine. The VIN # indicates that it never was changed according to the data base. Can the Airbag remain intact with steering wheel remaining in position as both halves of the column are separated to gain access to the multifunction switch?

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Yes, you can service the switch only and the clockspring will remain in place. There is a possibility that it may have to be ordered at a dealer as it is a low-demand part nowadays. There are also aftermarket sources for this switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ray Green said:
IC, I was hoping the MF switch would cure the turn signals but I didn't figure it would help the wipers. I've read about the R&R for the clockspring so you need the battery disconnected for about 30 minutes before proceeding to remove the airbag. A wheel puller I have .... had it for a long time and use it often.

It's the device under the steering wheel that sends all the signals to the BCM. Chrysler products are notorious for them failing. My '96 probably still has an outstanding recall on it but it's probably far too old for Chrysler to honor it.

Clockspring is about $65.00 I think and fairly simple to replace if you have basic mechanical knowledge and a steering wheel puller.
What kind of steering wheel puller is used on the 3rd generation minivans? My 2003 Grand Cherokee uses a 2 jaw puller. I watched a YouTube video, and they used a bolt in puller. My wife's 2000 T & C has a bad clock-spring. We never got a recall letter. Is it too late to get it replaced under the recall, since it is unlimited mileage? She does not get the airbag light, bit her horn is hard to get to blow, and her radio buttons don't work correctly all the time.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Assuming the 2000 is like the 1999, it uses a "traditional" steering wheel puller where two bolts thread into the steering wheel itself and a center bolt in the puller exerts the force against the center shaft of the column.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts