Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dead left brake light. I thought it was a bad lamp housing because it's flaky regardless of which bulb and holder I use (the van has 6 interchangeable bulbs and holders between the two tail lights). I tried a good used housing and it's still flaky. Turns out to be an intermittent signal at the 5-pin connector. Where does the signal for the left brake light split from the wire from the brake pedal switch to the center and right brake lamps?

Thanks,
Sixto
97 GC SE 3.3 221K miles

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's not the wiring and it's not the tail light housing so it must be the connector. Current goes through with test probes but not when it's plugged into a tail light. Sigh... Does anyone know how to take apart the connector?

Sixto
97 GC SE 3.3 221K miles

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I have had a similar problem with the left rear brake lamp not illuminating on my 2000 Grand Voyager. Remove the top bulb holder. It has a dual filament bulb; low intensity tail lamp and high intensity stop lamp. Note that in the bulb plastic base there are 3 very small copper contacts. Two are close together and 1 is on the opposite side of the bulb holder. The one by itself is the ground for the dual filaments. The 2 close together are the circuit contacts for the brake lamp and tail lamp. Use find sandpaper and make sure all 3 copper contacts are clean. Use sandpaper on the mating electrical surfaces in the area where the bulb holder sets in the lamp housing. Take a small, flat blade screw driver and pry those 3 contacts so they protrude farther from the plastic housing. Be careful and do not apply excessive pressure or you might break the contacts. I have done this and resolved the issue with an intermittent rear brake lamp.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I tried that. No joy. There is no contintuity between the wire leading into the connector and the brake contact in the tail light housing. There is continuity for ground and tail light, which works.

Sixto
97 GC SE 3.3 221K miles

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I believe that there is a 'printed circuit board' which is part of the housing that connects the bulb sockets to the wiring plug. Unless you can find and repair an obvious open, I would find a used tail lamp assembly and replace it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a dead left brake light. I thought it was a bad lamp housing because it's flaky regardless of which bulb and holder I use (the van has 6 interchangeable bulbs and holders between the two tail lights). I tried a good used housing and it's still flaky. Turns out to be an intermittent signal at the 5-pin connector. Where does the signal for the left brake light split from the wire from the brake pedal switch to the center and right brake lamps?

Thanks,
Sixto
97 GC SE 3.3 221K miles
Did you find a 'fix' Sixto??
If, please post back.
Thanks
Dean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts