Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery light comes on intermittently so it might be time for another alternator. 4 years isn't much considering the original lasted twice as long. Seems there's a choice of 90-amp and 120-amp. Since I don't keep records, I don't know what alternator is in place now but I'm 99.44% sure it has the same rating as the original. Is there a way to identify the alternator without removing it?

Something tells me it's the physically smaller unit because I recall thinking a larger alternator would have been much more difficult to maneuver. My memory isn't good for 4 weeks ago let alone 4 years ago.

Sixto
97 GC SE 3.3 232K miles

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have had this exact question on my van too. I have access to StarParts. (Chrysler's parts program) If you would like you could PM me your VIN and I can look it up tomorrow and tell you the amperage. This worked for me when I questioned my amperage. :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that was a @#%^&! PITA to remove. If I've done this before, and now I'm not sure I have, I can't imagine not sharing the misery. I know there was a total electrical failure in 2009 that stranded us 30 miles from home out of a 300 mile roundtrip. It had to have been the alternator but maybe I tried to yank it then paid to have it done.

The alternator has no markings but from the pictures at autozone.com, it's the 120-amp variety. This conversion van came with a TV, VCR, rear cassette stereo and auxiliary lights so the shop must have spec'd the more potent alternator. Whatever, that's what's going in if they accept this one as a core.

The alternator mount plate, the one that reaches from the belt tensioner to the top of the alternator doesn't come off without removing the belt tensioner, right? I bent the heck out of it getting the alternator out.

Sixto
97 GC SE 3.3 232K miles

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I got to do it twice. The replacement alternator failed within 10 days. It locked up and the pulley rim broke free of the hub allowing the rest of the pulleys to rotate. Gotta love those Gatorback belts. The second replacement has the ND logo stamped on the rear cover so hopefully it has better innards that the first replacement. Oddly, this one was easier to remove but more difficult to install. I don't know how many bending cycles the alternator bracket will tolerate :scared:

Sixto
97 GC SE 3.3 232K miles

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would start looking at the large power wire that connects to the alternator. Make sure it isnt frayed or open. If there's lots of resistance on a wire the alternator will be pushing against a brick wall.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I once had the alt power wire crack but remain in place so it wasn't visible. Drove the reg crazy but didn't harm the alt.

That part puzzles me?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts