Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some issues lately with my van. Now I'm not all to great when it comes to dealing with cars although I did just manage to install a starter for the first time and fixed my issue with the solenoid locking up and causing the starter to continue to run. I have also repaired other little things with the help of google but now I have managed to run into a problem and can't seem to figure it out. Over the past few days my van has been doing something rather strange. After starting it up the engine will run rough. I guess it sounds almost most like it's clogged up and the vehicle gets shaky. When I accelerate the shaking increases but decreases as the faster I go. After driving for awhile the shaking will stop but usually comes back the next time I start the car. The shaking does not always happen and so far I haven't managed to find any relation between the shaking and the temp of the engine so I think that has nothing to do with it. I seen a few people have a similar problem a few minutes after starting the car but in there case it doesn't seem to stop like mine does.

The check engine light does not come on but the airbag light is on although I highly doubt it has anything to do with the problem. Also, I would like to not the engine does not always run rough after every start. If it's going to act up it seems to happen right at start up and if it doesn't then the car runs smooth with no issues. I could drive for hours as long as with no problem as long as the car didnt start up with the rough engine issue. One other thing I did notice was for about 2 seconds the other the the car seemed to jerk forward as I was accelerating. Almost as if I was pressing and releasing the gas pedal but it only happened for a couple of seconds. any idea what could be causing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,516 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. It does sound like a misfiring cylinder.
It may eventually light the 'ck eng' light and set a fault code saying which cylinder has the problem. A scan tool plugged into the underdash diagnostic connector may show a 'pending' code and a road test with 'live data' being observed may show which cylinder is misfiring.
Common causes are spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, but I'm not saying for sure that any of those are the problem on yours.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had a cracked distributor rotor that caused rough running and jerking occasionally. Most of the time it would stay in place, but under the right conditions it would move just a little bit.
Another possibility - is it damp when this occurs? maybe condensation in the distributor cap or the plug wires need replacing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I changed the plugs and the problem is still hanging around. But now I have a new symptom. Just as before if it doesn't act up when I initially try and start it it runs just fine but now when it does act up I sometimes hear a clicking sound coming from the fuel tank. While pressing the gas I can hear it reving up and down almost as if Im letting off the gas pedal. New problem or part of the same problem. So far no check engine light either. I had a couple of instances when it didnt want to start and just cranked. But when it does finally start after a few tries turning the key back and fourth from acc I hear a fairly odd hum comming from the back of the van. Not too sure where exactly but this hum happens with the key in acc and only last for about 2 seconds. It's so confusing when you can't get the problem to present itself in some
fairly reliable way. I have found no real way to recreate the issue other than turning the car on and off till the problem happens at startup.

One other thing is the rain makes no difference. It was raining tonight coming home from work and the car ran just fine. Also, I did manage to recreate it once by reving the engine really hard for a few seconds but not again after that.

Thanks for the help so far folks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The hum is your fuel pump. it will run for about 2 seconds when the key is turned, and will quit if the engine does not start. I don't know about the clicking, but maybe the fuel pump is starting to fail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.