Allpar Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
The solenoid packs should be the same, but if one pack was serviced with a newer one, the separator plate that sandwiches between the case and sol pack would have been discarded and a single newer style gasket used.
These gaskets are different and can't be mixed. The change took place around 99-00.
See items #57136 and #57136A in this link picture and make sure that you are using the proper gasket for your application. The wrong gasket will cover certain hydraulic passages and allow leakage between them.:
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/A604_41TE_transmission_gaskets_o_rings_s/8406.htm

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Great news!! Swapped the packs back, hooked everything up and works like a champ!
No codes, auto loacks at 16mph, and shifts smooth. I oculd tell right away it was in first gear this time, not second.
Down shifts, smooth slow accelerations, or getting on it. Nice. Now to get the registration renewed,

Thanks again, every one for everything.
Clay

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Glad to hear it.

We actually had a similar story on those bolted connectors with Mom's old 1991 Fifth Avenue. Only on her car, it was the ECM connector. Last year, we suddenly had problems with the car not staying running, acting like the security alarm was killing the engine. It was throwing all kinds of codes, but most of the time the codes pointed back to the crank sensor. So I replaced it and the car ran well. But then, a month later, it started acting up again. Finally found the problem when I was finally able to get the car running again. I prodded the ECM connector and it stalled immediately. The connector itself felt loose, so I tried to tighten it. But it already was tight.

So I tried to crank it down a little tighter, and ended up breaking the nut mount just like you did. Took the broken nut off, plugged the connector back in (went in further than before), fabricated a hold down block to be braced on the battery, and the car never had another stalling problem.

Best I can figure is sometimes the bolts in those connectors are a little on the long side and/or the nuts on the other side of the connector are held in there a bit too shallow. If you have further problems and need to put in a new solenoid pack, maybe cut a little off the end of that bolt while you're at it.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts