Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a decent 1998 concorde lxi to replace the 04 intrepid that was totaled.

Looks good for the age but the speedometer/tach/temp gage isn't working. The idiot lights are working.

owner swapped a few parts trying to figure it out (ign. switch, BCM, ECM) with no luck. I don't think he ever tried another speedo unit.

Were these speedometers prone to going bad?

Where is the BCM on these cars? Little leary that he put in a lower mileage BCM. Car looks like it could be a 109000 car.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
It is possible to introduce more problems by swapping computer modules. It just isn't a good diagnostic method. VIN's and mileages are different and the modules may need to be initialized in their new setting with a DRB III scan tool to be operable. Swapping a module with VTSS in a non-VTSS car is an expensive mistake.
Try a cluster self-test to see if the cluster first has the ability to work the gauges. Hold in odo button, roll key to 'on' then release button.
The gauge signals are bussed in over the PCI bus from the other modules on the network. Any 'no buS' message in the odometer? Any PCM or TCM fault codes?
If he still has the old modules and since they weren't the problem it may be worth reinstalling them. The BCM is on the backside if the underdash fuse (junction) block.
bcm_back.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSQgC5_vPA

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The more i think about it there are a few things that don't add up on this car.

He said he changed the coil packs, ECM, new battery (but needed charged from sitting- tires have sunk into dirt it has sat so long), new starter, new igntion switch part (not key part), new BCM, new digital heater control (when i say new i'm sure they're junk yard stuff) no signs of fire or other damage.

it supposedly had an aftermarket alarm that he took off .. not sure why.

Overall the car looks good (very good for age), with new tires (even the factory Eagle GA full size spare has never been out of trunk) and is probably worth the 1000 price but i don't have time to monkey with the electrical. the brake fix-- no problem. Electrical, especially if he's messed it up.. not so sure...

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Carfax is not perfect, but can be very revealing of a car's history and mileage. It's worth the $30 or whatever they get now.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did pull a history @ lunch (i like autocheck, that's what the ins companies use > all are only as good as info put into the system). history looks clean 3 owner (including the seller) and seems to jive with his story on the car and the mileage is within 3000 since the last recorded history (its obvious its been sitting for a while)

He also took the front bench out and put in a console set up. even made a little pocket to go in where the shifter was. Didn't know they made LXI's with the shifter on the column.

will keep thinking... could part it/scrap it and recover the 1000 if it is a dud. ran very well. May go back and take some brake fluid with me this time and see if the brakes will pump up at least.

anyway. thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts