Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer has made an early apperance and its time to recharge the system. Where is the suction line on this system?

By the compressor or by the firewall?

3.0LV6 @ A670

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Low pressure (suction) connector is by the firewall. High pressure connector is by the compressor. Do you have a gage set? Really comes in handy when adding refridgerant. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
fjb37 said:
Low pressure (suction) connector is by the firewall. High pressure connector is by the compressor. Do you have a gage set? Really comes in handy when adding refridgerant. Just my $0.02.

FredB
Hmmm. Service manual shows pictures with the low pressure (suction port) on the metal line that connects a larger diameter hose to the compressor. It is closest to the compressor.

The high pressure liquid line (smaller diameter) snakes from the condenser outlet and runs along the body of the vehicle on the right front engine compartment. The R134a discharge port has a larger fitting than the suction port.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'm basing my comment on my 94GC layout which I assume should be much the same on the 3rd,gen. vans. The high pressure port on my 94 is by the compressor and is the larger of the two ports. The low pressure port is smaller in dia. and is by the firewall. I just dumped three cans of 134a into my system. I have a dual system and it tends to lose about three cans worth over the winter and about one can over the summer so that I have to add one can for the fall season. No big deal as Big Lots sells the stuff for $8/can.

I guess that Chrysler made a change to the layout for the 3rd. gen. vans. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I have a 3rd generation 3.0. The suction port is up near the firewall, under the wiper tray. The high pressure line is on the passenger side, inside fender. The low side (charge port) should have a blue cap on it and the high side, a red cap. You can't interchange the R134 hoses because the fittings are a different size.

Note that your 3rd gen van no longer uses the conventional mechanical low pressure switch. So don't jumper anything to start the compressor except the mechanical compressor relay in the PDC. All pressures (both high and low) are sensed by a pressure transducer that sends a signal to the ECU. The transducer works with the ECU in a very tight voltage range (tenths of a volt).

EDIT: I just happen to have a picture. I see that the OEM caps are actually black. The hose in the picture is going to the charge port (suction) and the high side port is visible, but hard to pick out. It is above the frame rail on the left. See the 2nd picture below. Note that in this picture the alternator is off. I had to replace the high side line and the leaking high side port. In the 2nd picture, you can almost pick out the refrigerant oil on the cap and you can see where I wiped it off the frame rail.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all!!!!!

Sustem was charged and worked beautifully for a day..... until the compressor seized up!

Time for another compressor swap and recharge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts