Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Dorman the only one making replacement power steering pump pulleys? I have checked all the major parts suppliers online and that's all I come up with. The problem is that the Dorman pulley has a 6.5 in. diameter and the OE pulley has a 6.125 in. diameter. The original pump and pulley assembly just fit pulling it out between the oil pan and cast aluminum suspension/steering cradle. I had to rotate the pump assembly so that the pulley was facing down and it just scrapped past coming out. Do I have to press on the pulley with the new pump loose up in the "hole". If I do that and use the dorman pulley how much longer does the serpentine belt need to be? I can't reuse the OE pulley since I can see a crack in it. No, I did not try to take it out by removing the exhaust, no way I'm going to mess with 14 year old, 248 K mile exhaust and break bolts and wind up with another miserable job! Thanks

Oh, I've put this project off for months, so when the right front axle cv started sounding off I figured it was time to do the power steering. Pulling the axle assembly was a piece of cake, the power steering - miserable!

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
There were 2 different p/s pump shaft diameters requiring 2 different pulleys on these. Make sure that you have the correct pulley.
What is the Chrysler part # printed on your original plastic pulley. Google it. Use only that # to make sure that you get the correct pulley.
I have had to go to the dealer to get the correct pulley before.
Any chip or crack in the plastic can cause them to shatter and throw the belt.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Best I can see without the VIN, the pulley for 98 Grd Caravan 3.8 is PN# 5281262. The aftermarket supplier may have an interchange tool to cross it.

Steven

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wound up using the Dorman pulley installing it up in the hole with the install tool rented from Autozone. In this area Dorman is the only pulley sold. Had a horrible time getting all the power steering back together. Now the problem is the NAPA Maxdrive axle assembly has incompletely machined splines, no bevel on the end of the axle and after hand filing a bevel on the end it still won't go in. The original slides in with no problem. Both have the same number of splines, same diameter, same length, just poor quality control.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
As soon as you realized the axle was not right, you should have taken it back along with the old one to compare. Now, the new one won't fit, I doubt that NAPA will take it back since you tried to file a bevel on it and you still have a van with a defective axle. Odds are you're going to have to buy another one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts