Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 98 sohc that started stuttering then would die but would start right up, then one day it didn't and left me sitting through 4-5 lights(cussing)then I took it to the parts store and they threw a code reader on it and it said cam sensor. Replaced it and it ran great...for about three days and then the same old stuff happened again and their reader was still saying cam shaft sensor however they told me it could be the crank sensor because they are on the same circut.
When I changed the cam sensor I didn't change the connector,so I wonder if maybe I should have.Seems the wires were different or the color codes were but I was in a hurry so I could pick up my boy from work.

Oh by the way runs good for about 10-15 minutes, then it's time to keep the rpm's up until I get home.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
What was your specific 'P' fault code? The 'sensor' fault codes are always for the sensor circuit and not necessarily the sensor itself has failed. Connectors and splices are the weak link of any circuit, although wire rub-throughs from normal vibration become common on older vehicles.
A thorough visual inspection between the PCM and the affected sensor is always a good place to start. A factory service manual will show you the splice and connector locations and wiring harness routing.
OEM sensors are the best for replacement as many aftermarket parts won't work in all applications even though they fit and plug in OK.
A list of 'possible causes' is good to go through as you can eliminate them one-by-one until you nail your suspect. An intermittent crank sensor can throw a cam sensor fault as they share powers and grounds. Timing belt variation or jumped teeth can also cause these kinds of faults.
Has the timing belt/water pump/idler service been performed? The recommended scheduled maintenance interval is ~100K miles and the car is going on 15 years old. These are interference engines, so t/belt breakage or jumping could damage valves.
The cam and crank sensors are needed to run the engine all the time, even during cranking. It is the EFI O2 feedback sensors that aren't used on a cold (open loop) engine until warmed, closed loop operation is achieved.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts