Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 98 neon 2.0 sohc that would stutter like it was going to die(usually at stop light)than I'd put it in neutral and keep the rpm's up and be ok.
So I changed the cam sensor and it ran great, then a few days later started doing the same only not as bad yet.
Thing is it will be ok for about 10 minutes or so, and when it does die so far Ive been lucky and it will start up,aleit a little hard sometimes. Had it hooked up to a code reader at the parts store and it was showing cam sensor again,and was told that it could be a faulty crankshaft sensor as the two are incorperated (my words)into the same circut,but so far the car has started up.

Until a week and a half ago I never even heard of said parts,so if things sound sketchy that's kinda why.Thanks in advanced for any info that might help me out. :pullhair:

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The cam and crank sensor do share powers and grounds. If these become intermittent, the PCM can fault one sensor or the other. Either sensor is on the list of 'possible causes' for the other.
The connectors can also become intermittent and throw the sensor fault code, when the sensor itself isn't the actual problem. Sometimes a gentle, slight 'pinch' to the connector terminals will restore a good, secure connection. Wiring harness issues like insulation rub-through to ground and corrosion/bad connections are also possible.
What is the actual 'P' code that the scan tool is showing? You will need to diagnose the problem by eliminating the items on the 'possible causes' list one-by-one until you find the culprit.
OEM parts are important and it could possibly be the crank sensor and either sensor may cause a stall. Low or rough idle may be a dirty throttle body bore and blade from carbon build-up or an intermittent TPS (throttle position sensor) which may not set a fault code.
See if you can read up on the Neon EFI system. A service manual or information on Google will help you understand the system better and help you diagnose the real problem here.
If the PCM has set a cam sensor code twice or more, then you should start with that circuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a 98 neon 2.0 sohc that would stutter like it was going to die(usually at stop light)than I'd put it in neutral and keep the rpm's up and be ok.
So I changed the cam sensor and it ran great, then a few days later started doing the same only not as bad yet.
Thing is it will be ok for about 10 minutes or so, and when it does die so far Ive been lucky and it will start up,aleit a little hard sometimes. Had it hooked up to a code reader at the parts store and it was showing cam sensor again,and was told that it could be a faulty crankshaft sensor as the two are incorperated (my words)into the same circut,but so far the car has started up.

Until a week and a half ago I never even heard of said parts,so if things sound sketchy that's kinda why.Thanks in advanced for any info that might help me out. :pullhair:
Thanks for the info! UPDATE: Getting on it tomorrow,thought it would be ok to drive to the store today though.It ran pretty good...until about 3 blocks from home,sat through about four green lights and a few times when I went to try and start it it kinda whooshed like it was out of time(not saying that's the problem).Long story short I got it stated and passed the rescue party coming to help me.
Also taking your advice.Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts