Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic handle on the shift lever is broke and it has the OD button on the end. I used epoxy on it a couple times but that don't last. Has anyone changed one of these? I like to know what's in store on things like this.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You might be best off taking the column apart and just putting a junkyard shifter in. Every Chrysler I've driven has a metal "stick" with the plastic tip like you noted. Just out of curiosity, why do you need the O/D button? Most of the time, you're better off just leaving O/D engaged unless the transmission is hunting, like on grades with a trailer.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
B10alia said:
You might be best off taking the column apart and just putting a junkyard shifter in. Every Chrysler I've driven has a metal "stick" with the plastic tip like you noted. Just out of curiosity, why do you need the O/D button? Most of the time, you're better off just leaving O/D engaged unless the transmission is hunting, like on grades with a trailer.
That button is factory. O/D OFF. Turns off O/D when towing, hauling heavy loads, eliminates exessive shifting according to the book.
I was looking for some advice before going into the steering column.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sad to say if the truck is too new for an in-the-dash button (my 1997 has one) you probably will have to go into the column.
If your dash is busted up, though, consider replacing that anyhow. On a 1998 you may be able to move the button to the dash...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I absolutely don't see how you couldn't have a button in the dash. The switch at the tip of the shifter probably has a 2-wire harness leading to it up through the (hollow) body of the shifter itself. You can pull the wires out and go up under the dash to a momentary pushbutton (I don't think that the button maintains on the end of the shifter, but if for some reason it does, just use a maintaining pushbutton) that sticks out through the dash. In that case, no fiddling about looking for a shifter, you can use what you have, with something over the end where the plastic was. Or, you could look and see if you can get a non-broken shifter and splice the wiring into the existing wiring (I'm assuming that you're going to have to cut the old wires to get the old shifter out). Usually, you'll have a couple of "security" torx holding the bottom cover on which will screw into the top cover. On my '95 Spirit, the tilt lever has to come out too to get the top cover off (the tilt lever just unscrews, the end of it is threaded). You should be able to get at most of the stuff inside the column that way. If not, the dash bezel may have to come out to get at the shifter. Fortunately, Ma Mopar liked to use clips which are VERY easy to remove-- just pull. I wouldn't want to attack this without having looked at an FSM, and even then, I would go after getting the JY shifter (assuming that's the route you choose to go) first, so if you mess up anything getting things apart and something breaks, it's not your truck.

I should clarify my question to the OP-- why do you need to use the O/D lockout button? Do you tow frequently or encounter situations where you would want it locked out (i.e. grades)? I have never seen the need to use O/D lockout on any vehicle my family has owned-- including a 2005 Caravan (which uses "3" for O/D lockout) which was used for towing a 2000+ lb popup through the White Mountains in NH, and the (cough) Government Motors (cough, sorry) Tahoe that we pulled a U-Haul trailer from Danvers to Blacksburg, VA, through the Alleghenies and Blue Ridge-- so personally, I would more or less leave it alone, since it's a feature I never have seen the need for, in my experience.

·
Registered
682 Posts
OD off helps with heavy loads in the pickup bed as well as with towing. Also, living in West Texas I sometimes cut it off when driving into the force of spring winds head-on (40-mph headwinds are a copperplated PITA).

·
Super Moderator
31,984 Posts
B10alia said:
I absolutely don't see how you couldn't have a button in the dash.
True that - my 92 Dakota has the "O/D Off" button on the left side of the dash, by the headlight switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts