Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 T& C LXI is leaking gas around the fuel tank inlet area., hard to tell if it is the rubber or if the rust on the fuel filler pipe having a pin hole. But it definitely leaks when the tank is full. Found a brand new replacement on Amazon for $50 made by Dorman that should be good enough for this 15 year old van with 215K miles:) But my question is, has anyone replaced one of these before on the long wheel base vans ( mine is made in Dec 97) I see there is a different neck with regard to build date in 1998 year. It looks pretty straight forward but one never knows. Does the fuel filler door have to come off? I appreciate the time to answer this posting!

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
You have to remove the LR wheel and front part of the plastic inner fender shield.
There are 3 screws holding the filler neck to the body. Filler door can stay on.
There is a ground strap and 2 smaller vapor hose clamps that have to be pinched (can be done by hand) to be released from their filler pipes.
The filler tubes do rust out and will start by setting evap leak fault codes.
I replaced the filler tube on the Neon with a Dorman part.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your help and quick reply! After 15 Wisconsin winters it is starting to leak somewhere down there. It might just be the rubber hose but i can see when i take the rubber hose off, the rusty pipe will probably break or not seal correctly and ill end up doing it again. Just ordered the part for a next weekend project. Thanks again Imperialcrown

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've also had this issue. My problem was the rubber gasket around the fuel lines that come out of the sending unit. If you buy some two part epoxy from an autoparts store and add a generous coating it will fix the problem so that you dont have to get a new fuel pump assembly

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well everything went well with the filler neck thanks to this forum, went in quick and found the metal part of the original tube severely rusted and leaking. But the two vapor hoses are where the other leaks are from. They do not seal tight anymore. The connection is very worn looking and it is very loose. Is there anything anyone has done to get these vapor tubes tight again? Or am I going to be forced to drop the tank and get some new hoses. Always something extra with an old vehicle. Thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
I believe that there are double o-rings inside these plastic vapor line ends. If the o-rings are damaged or gone, they can be replaced. A small seal pick can be used to get them out and clean the grooves. It may restore sealing. A light oil on the metal tube ends may help in re-assembly.
I imagine that cutting off the plastic ends and using rubber vapor hose with clamps to splice the vapor connections together would be a good fix if the plastic 'quick-connect' ends can't be saved.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ImperialCrown said:
I believe that there are double o-rings inside these plastic vapor line ends. If the o-rings are damaged or gone, they can be replaced. A small seal pick can be used to get them out and clean the grooves. It may restore sealing. A light oil on the metal tube ends may help in re-assembly.
I imagine that cutting off the plastic ends and using rubber vapor hose with clamps to splice the vapor connections together would be a good fix if the plastic 'quick-connect' ends can't be saved.
Thank you for your help once again! I'll be looking at it tomorrow again. The o rings are totally gone and the lines are loose on there. I'll look into the Orings first and see what is available. If not ill look into the hose and clamp method. Thanks again

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got to this project today and ended up cutting the original connectors and using fuel line and hose clamps and all fixed as imperialcrown stated. All the parts available at any auto parts store. Took about 25min to complete and worked perfect. Just passing the info on if anyone has the same issues i have had with leaking gas in vapor line area .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts