Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I have the door lock actuator going in the front passenger side door of my minivan. The high pitch squeal along with the door lock not unlocking or locking anymore. I'm wondering if anyone would have some helpful hints in replacing the actuator. Is it one that is serviced separately or is it part of a larger unit? I noticed that Autozone and Oreillys online do not show an actuator for the front doors, just the sliding and the rear doors. This leads me to believe something is "special" about the front doors:) I've never had one go in any of my vehicles before so this will be a new project for me. Thanks for your help! I hope everyone has a nice holiday season!

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
The front door power lock actuators are part of the front door latch. The rear sliding doors have a remote lock motor.
The 'whine' is the stripped plastic gears inside. The latch assembly needs replacement. I don't see it available aftermarket, but you might find one used?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply! Is this a labor intensive job? Im comfortable removing door panels which i know is step one but beyond that is there anything that makes it a job difficult per se'. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
You may have to move the rearmost glass guide channel out of the way with the window fully up. Watch for sharp metal edges inside the door. Unplug the connector. Pop the plastic retainers off the links. The latch is held in by 3 torx screws.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok sounds good on this all. Now i just have to call chrysler and see if i can get an actuator. Ill go the new route so i know i get
A working one. Just had our first cold snap and the lock decided it had enough after 15 years. Thanks
For all your help imperialcrown!

·
Registered
199 Posts
MIne has the wine on the driver's door. Has been like that for 2+ years now. I got the door panel off and figured how to get the latch off, not that bad. I also went to a junkyard and took one off, but they would not test it for me and would not warranty it either. At $50, I passed, never got around buying one from the dealer either. Car needed much more important stuff and actually, I don't mind using the keys if it came down to it. This is only the 2nd car we have had with power door locks.

If you go to a nearby pull a part yard, you can see how to get one off and parctive on their cars.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
00Molavi said:
MIne has the wine on the driver's door. Has been like that for 2+ years now. I got the door panel off and figured how to get the latch off, not that bad. I also went to a junkyard and took one off, but they would not test it for me and would not warranty it either. At $50, I passed, never got around buying one from the dealer either. Car needed much more important stuff and actually, I don't mind using the keys if it came down to it. This is only the 2nd car we have had with power door locks.

If you go to a nearby pull a part yard, you can see how to get one off and parctive on their cars.
Thanks for the information. That is always my worry that they won't test it, then I'll get home and have the same issue. I can get a good deal on Chrysler parts through my work and will probably use the new part. You are right, it really isn't that important and the key works too. I'll get around to it when it gets a bit warmer and after the holidays. I just am a stickler for things not working, even on a 1998 vehicle, call me nuts:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
So how easy/hard was it to replace. It's easy to start a topic when you need help, much harder to come back and tell everyone how it's done.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how easy/hard was it to replace. It's easy to start a topic when you need help, much harder to come back and tell everyone how it's done.[/quot

The lock actually started working again so I never ended up replacing it. What I found out is ,most likely, i had washed the van the week before and it got cold causing a bunch of icing. The van got a heated garage over New Years weekend and with the heated garage, it all melted off and no more noise. I've put 20k miles on it since then and not one issue. I guess I'll find out this winter if it happens Again or not

·
Registered
199 Posts
blackstratus said:
So how easy/hard was it to replace. It's easy to start a topic when you need help, much harder to come back and tell everyone how it's done.[/quot

The lock actually started working again so I never ended up replacing it. What I found out is ,most likely, i had washed the van the week before and it got cold causing a bunch of icing. The van got a heated garage over New Years weekend and with the heated garage, it all melted off and no more noise. I've put 20k miles on it since then and not one issue. I guess I'll find out this winter if it happens Again or not
You might want to lubricate the system while it is working.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The front passenger door in our van has been doing that for years. Fails to lock frequently, fails to unlock occasionally. I replaced it with a wrecking yard unit but it does the same thing. Either it's a common problem or the problem isn't the mechanism. I don't recall that it was particularly difficult to replace.

Sixto
'97 GC SE 3.3 233K miles

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The funny thing is this weekend the right side sliding door power lock quit working. Seems to only like working when it cool and not warm... I guess with 220k miles it has the right to have a few issues:)But, just made a 1400 mile round trip flawlessly and got 24 mpg to boot. Right like what said on the window sticker. Can't complain about that. Might look into replacing that door lock actuator though if not too hard, unless it starts working again like the front door is again. Rear right door is hard to reach from drivers seat:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but figured better than to start a new one on the same topic. My driver's door lock has recently started this horrible whine when it locks. I'm hoping it's resulting from it being slightly wet and too cold, but I'm still going to pull the panel and take a look this weekend.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are having cold weather , like way below freezing, I'd wait and see if the whine stops when it warms up. I still have this van and have put another 40,000 miles on it since this thread and hasn't given me an issue since. But if that isn't the case, the door lock actuator is in the latch assembly and the latch needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's what I'm hoping for. Finally supposed to start warming up this weekend. I'll probably pull the panel to take a look anyway and maybe give it some WD while I'm in there. I have seen where you can get a Dorman direct replacement now.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll be curious what you find out. I like parts that"fix" themselves:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts