Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all. I got a pwr steering pump issue. I installed a pwr steering pump today. It was a you know what. Finally got it in, tightened belt good, filled it up with fluid, did the side to side to get all the air out, filled it back up and everything was fine. I spilled a TINY bit of fluid. Couple drops went down where the drive belt is and the little pwr steering belt but i cleaned it off. No big deal. Went for a test drive, the thing was turning with my pinky it worked so good. But after ten minutes it stopped working. Just like that. There was some good squealing down there after the fluid spilled but that could've been coincidence as it was a tiny bit that fell. The reservoir hasn't leaked a drop. Everything seems fine, the belt is still perfectly tight, the fluid isnt leaking from anywhere and the hoses and everything are clear from any moving belts or other moving parts. Think the pump simply went bad just like that? Now theres one more thing I need to mention. The lines go to the front of the car up to the radiator but theyre not hooked up to the fluid cooler thing. The lines make a u-turn and go right back to the pump. The whole pwr steering system has been disconnected for a while. And when I got the car the pwr steering pump was shot in it as well. It has never had pwr steering since i've owned it except for those ten minutes earlier today. As usual, any info or knowledge is GREATLY appreciated. THANKS-

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
If the system was left open for awhile, dirt, water and debris may have entered the system? Is there any pump whine or whirr to indicate that it is trying to pump? A loud belt squeal would be from a pump under great load. Maybe it ingested something or seized?
There is a non-serviceable mesh screen in the reservoir to trap debris that may have plugged. That usually makes them whine and whirr. In this case, replace the reservoir.
Is the fluid dirty or have a glittery sheen? I believe that the conventional amber P/S fluid is the correct fluid for these.
The P/S cooler is a simple ~4 foot loop of tubing behind the front bumper. It may not be that critical, but would lengthen component life overall.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea. And it was def open for a while.The front 2 hoses were both cut off at the 90where it turns to go to the radiator. So where they were cut the openings were facing the road straight ahead from under the car. I guess anything couldve traveled up in there. But, When i put a 12 inch hose on the 2 metal lines to send the fluid back I could feel the hose and the metal hot from the fluid running. Unless the fluid was just sitting there hot, not running back and forth. Man, this is kind of a mess because of how hard the job was. So to do it again, then not knowing if the next pump is gonna mess up. And thats if the problem is even the pump. Cant I get to the pump and see if it turns by hand and if not I'd know the pump blew or seized up? To even do that is difficult in these cars. But thats got to be what it is right? The fluid is running around good, i think, and the belt is spinning away nice and fast with no noise. Now I checked the color like you said and it is goldish with a sheen to it. Looks bad. But it was brand new. I poured it right out of a new bottle from Advance that said "power steering fluid for GM, ford and Chrysler". Man, I hate to put another one in before I know if itsw going to sieze up or stop working 10 mins after its running like the other one.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
I have had to replace P/S pumps on the 2.5L and it does get easier the 2nd and 3rd time after you learn the shortcuts and what has to move. I believe that I removed the mount to raise and lower the engine to get it out the passenger side above the axle.
The pulley has to be pulled and pressed squarely onto the new pump shaft. I use a bolt and washer to draw it on straight. It is no picnic, for sure.
Loosen the high-pressure line nut at idle and see if you get a spurt. That would confirm that the pump is making pressure and the problem may be the steering rack. I tend to think that the pump has died and there will only be a dribble.
Drain the P/S fluid out at the lowest point at the rack return line and turn the wheel full left and full right to empty the gear. follow that with a blast of compressed air through the lines to clear out any debris. If the pump vanes have broken up, that may be the metallic sheen in the fluid. Get a couple of bottles of P/S fluid to run through the high-pressure, return and cooler lines and again follow with a blast of air.
A clean system should make it safe for the next pump.
The reservoir can be removed and washed out with solvent and blown dry. Make sure that you can blow through the reservoir ports. The screen isn't removable for cleaning, but as long as there is no loose debris and the screen is clean, you should be OK.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This all looks great and is extremely helpful. Does it matter that I used a pump from you pull it that already had the pulley on it? I had a broken pulley on the other pump. I'm assuming that it doesnt matter but just checking. Its so weird that it worked for 10 mins, squealed like a cat was being tortured then just like that, no more power steering. The squealing is gone, the belt is still spinning and the fluid is hot. But I am on way outside right now to loosen high pressure line nut like you said to see if fluid is flowing. But I will probably just get dribble, right? If there is anything weird or important i'll come back in and send it. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Usually hot fluid means that the pump is pumping it. The pump may have seized for the pulley to lock and squeal the belt. See what you find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts