Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just recently realized that my torque converter is going out on my 99 durango 5.2 4x4; as soon as it hits overdrive the whole vehicle just shutters and shakes like the tires aren't balanced or like it has bad u joints (tranny is strong and shifts like brand new though and the fluid and filter were just recently changed with valvoline ATF+4, all four new u joints as well)............Because of the low torque that my 5.2 has I want to put a higher stall torque converter in it (if it needs changed anyways I might as well go with something performance right?) Where is the lowest priced and best place to get a quality higher stall torque converter for my 44re? .........And also, what is the factory stall on the 44re?

66 buick guy

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Since the 44RE is a derivative of the A500, a torque converter for the spline pattern for the A500 series would probably work provided that it's a lockup torque converter, as I expect the 44RE, 42RH/E, 40RH/E, and A500 all to have the same spline count on the input shaft and same flexplate mounting points when used with the LA and Magnum series V8 engines. External balance weights on the torque converter will probably differ though, so you'll need the correct balancing to ensure no vibration.

I don't know for a fact, but the spline pattern might even go as far back as the lockup 904/998/999 transmissions from the eighties, so there could be some torque converters for those applications that might fit and provide some performance. Again, the balance weights would need to be addressed. Furthermore, the slant six got the 904/998/999, and the 3.9L V6 also got those transmissions, so there could be some stall speeds meant for those that might be compatible with yours, assuming that the flexplate mountings (in the case of the slant six) are the same.

Take care to not overheat, typically higher stall converters are also smaller and more heat prone. A lot of racers uses torque converters from smaller engine applications in their drag cars to get the stall, but they go through their drivetrains regularly or else expect to break stuff.

Bear in mind that the overdrive unit is almost separate from the rest of the design on these units, almost like a 904 transmission with an overdrive tacked on the end. That's an oversimplification, but not gratuitously so. You might actually have a fault with the overdrive and it doesn't manifest until it leaves 1:1 in the overdrive unit for the overdrive ratio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might be the deal because it doesn't vibrate at all if i keep it out of overdrive..........soon as I hit the overdrive button the vibration comes..........So, does anyone sell aftermarket performance torque converters for these specific transmissions (42,44,46RE)?........Ive looked on the net for days and cant find any companies that sell performance converters for them...;(

66 buick guy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts