Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Grand Caravan 3.0 200K miles has a coolant leak at crossover pipe driver side running a stream down the bell housing right hand side.. steady stream when not under pressure...Van had a timing belt/water pump change less than 50k ago. Also changed out the pulleys to use ribbed belt to get rid of the rainy day belt slip off problem.. Also has a new radiator and fans..

I pulled the first part of the coolant crossover pipe out, cleaned it up and replaced "O" ring and re-installed the pipe. Still leaking.. Is it possible that it just didn't seat well and I should remove it and try again or should I take out the pipe completely from the water pump and check the tube for leaks and replace the "O" ring at the water pump.. Is it possible to remove the coolant pipe from the rear driver side without removing the intake manifold ? I've read conflicting answers about this. I appreciate any help and thanks in advance..

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
mesatone01 said:
1999 Grand Caravan 3.0 200K miles has a coolant leak at crossover pipe driver side running a stream down the bell housing right hand side.. steady stream when not under pressure...Van had a timing belt/water pump change less than 50k ago. Also changed out the pulleys to use ribbed belt to get rid of the rainy day belt slip off problem.. Also has a new radiator and fans..

I pulled the first part of the coolant crossover pipe out, cleaned it up and replaced "O" ring and re-installed the pipe. Still leaking.. Is it possible that it just didn't seat well and I should remove it and try again or should I take out the pipe completely from the water pump and check the tube for leaks and replace the "O" ring at the water pump.. Is it possible to remove the coolant pipe from the rear driver side without removing the intake manifold ? I've read conflicting answers about this. I appreciate any help and thanks in advance..
I really see no way to get the long pipe out without removing the intake manifold. Looking at the picture below, the pipe is fairly long.

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
I replaced both pipes on my '96 GC and you don't have to pull the manifold but you do have to pull the water pump. You also have to pull the crossover pipe that runs between the 2 exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Ray, did the long pipe come out OK through the front (from behind the water pump), or out the back through the slot in the tranny?

I'm almost thinking that it is easier to remove the intake manifold than tearing down the front of the engine, especially if the water pump/timing belt was recently replaced. Either way, it is a lot of work.

I see that both tubes are available for about $25 each on E-Bay, but they are Dorman aftermarket products. Part #'s 626-303 and 626-302. One of those may be specific to 1996 models according to the compatability chart.

Next time I tear mine apart (hopefully never :) ), I'll replace those pipes and O-rings. I think I'm on borrowed time based on all the problems I read about with leaks in that area.

·
Living in RV heaven. You think cars are bad!
1,580 Posts
John, after removing the crossover pipe, the inner tube came out the transmission side. I've never pulled the intake manifold but you very well could be correct.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My pipe had corroded at the end and had to be replaced.

Seems it was a Y shaped piece which is only available from a dealer but I've forgotten exactly what it was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts