Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out this problem for about 3 months now.
Started out when I would get off the freeway it would miss for the next 5 miles, until I reached my destination, then I heard what sounded like metal in the transmission, after doing some research, I read that the flex plate cracking was an issue on these vans, so I had it replaced, the old one was cracked but not that bad, and did not fix the problem.
I tried a new coil pack, new throttle position sensor, and i'm still fighting this problem.
The miss is always there, right around 1500 RMP's besides this the van runs great.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Recent and quality plugs and wires? Are they the correct Champion platinum spark plug type?
Check the fuel pressure? A gauge fitting is on the fuel rail and with a 3' hose can reach to be held under a wiper blade for the road test.
Any fault codes? An intermittent misfire should eventually set a fault code or a one-trip failure. A good scan tool should have an OBD II misfire monitor that can count the misfires and identify which cylinder is misfiring. Knowing right where to look saves time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No fault codes, no recent plugs or wires, I think at around 45 mph, 1500 rpm, I can accelerate, and let off over and over again and it always does it, so I don't see how this could be plug or wire related, fuel pump yet it runs fine at all other rpm range.
I will put my pc on it and see if I see anything.
I have heard of power loss at higher rpm as a result of a fuel pump, but not what I have.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Yes, getting it to act up with a good scan tool connected may shed some light on this.
Have a helper drive while you watch PC for misfire, rich or lean commands or torque converter clutch cycling/hunting on/off, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ImperialCrown said:
torque converter clutch cycling/hunting on/off, etc.
Tis response is the most likely, but what can I do about this?
This definitely feels transmission related, the way it acts, if I give it more gas it does not do it, or I don't notice it.
After doing some research on converter clutch, I found some good info, about what would cause this, bad connection, I did replace the alternator in the last 2 months, and the battery, I also had a scan gauge always hooked up, and this is a common problem on Chrysler vehicles.
Now I will see if I can pin point it.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Check fluid level and condition? Change the filter and fluid? Use ATF+4 spec oil only in the transaxle.
It may go deeper, but you can do preliminary checks and diagnosis. It might eventually set a P0740 fault code if the TCC is slipping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts