Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a car with the steering wheel airbag blown. I cut the bag out with a razor knife. Can I get one off another car and put it in its place? Like a whole new steering wheel or whatever? I got a parts car and can use anything off of it I need to. Also the passenger side has the cover still hanging on and the airbag is all unfolded and its a mess. I can shove the bag back in and lay the cover back over it but it looks bad and the cover isnt going to lock back down. I dont think it will anyway. Its just a mess and I dont know where to start with either side. As always, THANKS a lot ya'll.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
Yes, you can use bags from another car. BUT!, airbags can be very dangerous. GET FSM and follow the procedure exactly!

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Be careful about Liability. The salvage yards around here will not sell any used 'safety' related components due to the friendly advice of consul.
New York has far too much litigation.
If the AIRBAG warning light is on, a fault code(s) is stored.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, New York prob cares about its people. South Carolina could care less if an air bag blew up in our face. Thats near the last thing they care about happening to their people. Yes, the airbag yellow light stays on constant. What do you suggest to do about the fault codes stored? OK, so it looks like I can swap bags but that I need that FSM still. I so need to get one. You keep telling me over n over to get it. I'll learn. I think Imperial C said library or online somewhere. Guess i'll get one today. But this is all good news and I'll be back when I run into an issue i'm sure. And thanks a lot Imperial and Kog and all of ya'll.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Be careful with these....
But yes they can be changed.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Any airbag component service requires that the battery be disconnected and a few minute wait before diving in. This allows time for the storage capacitors to fully discharge and prevent a false bag deployment. This will also erase any stored fault codes, but if the light doesn't come back after the service you should be OK.
ESD (static electricity discharge) precautions must also be adhered to when working with these electronic components.
A DRB III (or equivalent) would be needed to read Passive Restraint codes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the drb lll is needed? Or can I get away without using one if the light stays off after the fix? Cant you touch like metal or something before getting in the seat to work on pulling the steering wheel and the replacement of the bags and whatever else? Would that remove or discharge any static elec in my body or clothes or wherever its stored on me?

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
Please do not ask those questions. Buy the shop manual and follow it exactly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ha! I gotcha. Yes sir, I'll do it the right way. At this point I've got the drivers side installed and the passenger is getting swapped tomorrow morning. Heres my question now though. After the pass is installed, that makes both airbags that were blown removed and two new ones(from u pull it yard) put back in. Whats to say when I hook the battery back up they both wont explode? See what I'm trying to say? When car hit something it hit at the front which made the airbags go off at impact. I havent done nothing at the front of the car except replace the fender. Isnt the front end being the way it still is after the minor wreck, still thinking it needs to deploy airbags? And if not, why? Anybody understand what Im trying to say here? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Airbags are triggered by accelerometers, which sense the rate of change of speed (as in, instantaneous stop in a crash). They have no way of sensing damage to the car. And connecting the battery will not fire the airbag, there is enough of a capacitive and inductive load to snuff voltage spikes with higher load devices than an airbag igniter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. Def learned something there. Thanks for that piece of info for sure. So Im assuming I can just hook up both bags back into the little yellow wire they were plugged into. And then the only way they'll go off is if Im in a wreck that slows the car down to zero in about a half a second or so? Do I got this right or am I missing a little something. As always, thanks for helping me everyone.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
according to my '99 JA Factory Service Manual (the Instrument Panels of the JA and JX Platforms are VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL) the Service Procedure for Deployed airbags consists of Replacing a LOT of Parts, mainly the ENTIRE Steering Column and EVERYTHING Attached to it (the Airbag Module in the wheel, the Steering Wheel itself, and the Clockspring), as well as the ENTIRE Instrument Panel and the Instrument Panel Pad. basically, to repair this Sebring as per the Chrysler Procedures, its gonna get EXTREMELY (most likely Prohibitively) EXPENSIVE.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
Not even counting the airbag issue, the column should always be replaced (as it is designed to crumple internally in a collision) as well as seat belts since they are stressed in a collision.

Even assuming everything is installed properly it is very likely the airbag light will remain on with the replacement airbags which will require a scan tool to diagnose.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea/ because both bags have been swapped and light is still on. I saw those parts that it shows needing replacing. I dont understand what some of those things have to do with anything. I can swap instrument cluster, steering wheel, etc,etc as I have parts car with all that in tact. But I bet ya when I take apart everything i need to, then put it all back in off the other car, the airbag light still stays on. So, if it does stay on, even after I swap it all out, can I get it off somehow? Hate to take it all back apart, swap all that other stuff, then light still wont cut off.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
If the AIRBAG warning light is on, a fault code is stored in the ACM (airbag control module) as to the reason why. We need to get that fault code out to find out what the problem is. An advanced scan tool like the DRB III (or equivalent) will probably be needed to read the code.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok. I got ya. Will the obd ll get it by chance? Its the actron cp9580. Same one Advance uses when they go out to your car to check a cel. Or do you think I could go to one of the auto parts stores and get them to read the code if my cp9580 wont be able to get it? And last but very important, can you possibly explain how to get the "right" FSM. I see em all over Amazon, Ebay motors, internet sites, etc. But I am confused as to what the title to the correct one is and the cost as theres all sorts of diff prices for all sorts of manuals that claim theyre the best one to get. I have the Haynes for 1996-2000 Chrysler Sebring, It just doesnt have the best info or procedures I dont think. And I know you say to get the "FSM". Thats what you always say. Yep. Ive seen ya say it many times. ha! Anyway, ive looked and ive tried to find the right one and now im lost as to which one that is. ahh! Thanks lot.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
Some aftermarket scanners (the very expensive ones) can access the air bag codes. Most won't.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
valiant67 said:
Some aftermarket scanners (the very expensive ones) can access the air bag codes. Most won't.
yeah, you'd have to get either a Snap-On Solus or MT2500 "brick", an OTC Genisys/Pegisys/Nemisys, an EASE Laptop based system, or the Factory DRBIII/StarScan/StarMobile/wiTECH systems, and those run in the THOUSANDS of Dollars!

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
It may be cheaper just to pay the man with the capable scan tool a one-time detailed diagnostic fee. Then determine and perform the proper repair yourself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts