Allpar Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,734 Posts
The MT2500 can be had fairly inexpensively, but you must make sure it has the right cartridge, cable and OBDII key to cover your car or those pieces get expensive. Still be a few hundred bucks though, maybe could be had for less than $500.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Pay the man a 1 time fee and do it all correctly after that? Yea, that sounds real good. Thanks for the help everyone. All the posts were right on time. This is still going on. The clockspring hasnt been switched out yet. I do have a new airbag module intact and it goes on easily. I have another steering wheel. It goes on very easy. I really have about everything. But I put a new bezel, the one that sits above steering wheel, it has the little trip computer w temp and mpg etc, etc. Put a diff knee bolster, also put that long piece that goes from drivers window to pass window all the way at the top of the dashboard that covers the little tweeter speakers, and now I can install the steering wheel, clockspring and airbag. I wonder if thats enough. I saw something where there was a module or something under the coonsole. You know, where the hand brake and shifter is? Under there. It said there was something like some module there that needed replacing as well. I think it meant under the console when I read it. Anyway, I like the pay the man that fee and get the code so I can know exactly what has to be replaced for the light to go off. And I havent even swapped the passenger's out yet! I think I can just put a new airbag in it though. Although it didnt explode out of there, it did get jarred open. You know, the top of it thats on the dash? Supposedly passengers didnt explode but I know this, its laying there with the top open. So.... But thats what they told me anyway. Thanks for help so far, I need all the advice I can get. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,629 Posts
Again, you need the codes first in order to replace just what is broken. The clockspring, module and passenger bag may be fine, don't guess here.
If the driver hit the knee bolster hard enough to break/bend it, then he hit the column pretty hard too. Have the car checked out by a professional crash appraiser/estimator before trusting it for road-worthiness. There may be damage that you can't see and don't know about yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Def have to agree with you all. Pay the man that has the scan tool, get code(s), figure out what codes mean and replace whatever needs replacing to get rid of codes. Got it. And Digitalrailroader got me scared anyway because those tools he knows about that can do what you need em to do cost a lot. And I'd prob only use the thing once or twice my whole life. Alright, gettin closer n closer to finishing this car everyday. Im just turtle slow. Appreciate all the help from all the girls and guys. Couldnt get near this far without ya'll. Get back to ya soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just updating to let ya know how this issue went. I took out the clockspring, the airbag and put back in a clockspring from another 98. Same year. I hooked the new(used) clockspring up, yellow wire to the middle of it, horn wire, and that other wire and turned it over and over or i should say around and around until i got it exactly right. Then put the cruise control components back on, tightened airbag or airbag module I think they call it and turned the key on. No more yellow airbaq light and hasn't been one since. I don't recommend doing this airbag swap at home when they have been deployed but I was too far into it by the time I realized I shouldnt have been doing at home. I couldn't have done this job without all ya'lls help and knowledge. Thanks for sharing it with me and Thanks for all the help, Marc C.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts