Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am swapping water pump out on the 99 sebring. It requires timing belt cover to be removed and I've got to the point where i'm ready to do that but, theres as pulley that has a 22mm bolt that wont turn off. What am I doing wrong or not doing right? Took neg batt cable off, jacked up car and removed pass wheel, put hydraulic jack and piece of wood under oil pan, moved hoses all out of the way, took 3 verticle motor mount bolts out then removed that motor mount piece. Theres 3 other horizontal motor mount bolts on the other motor mount piece it looks like to me and 2 of them dont quite have enough clearance to get them all the way out. Doesnt matter though because that piece of motor mount dolnt seem to move out of my way anyway. I loosened the idler pulley, removed the belt, the pwr steering belt wasnt in there as that pulley had fallen off months ago and never got replaced(i drive this one w nno pwr steering) But now I was going to take the big pulley off. (crankshaft pulley I think you call it) Well, the big 22mm bolt in the middle of the pulley wont turn without the whole pulley turning with it. So I trird to hold the pulley with the belt in one hand, the 22mm box wrench in the other and canty get it to turn. Any suggestions what Im doing wrong this time?? And maybe what I should do from here. Thanks lot! Marcpilot1

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The crank pulley bolt is tight. I have always used an air wrench to break them loose and spin them off. It may be difficult with a breaker bar, unless you can jerk it loose.
A trick I've used is to first make sure that the engine cranks clockwise. Only crank or turn the engine with the timing belt in place and correctly timed or you run the risk of bent valves (the 2.5L V6 is an interference engine).
Then place the breaker bar where it will rest against the crossmember. By cranking it over (very carefully) in a short burst. The starter motor torque can break the bolt free for you with the bar being held still by the crossmember. Caution: Keep people away from the car when doing this as the socket can jump off of the bolt head while hitting the key.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!!! It worked. The bolt came loose and I took the pulley off. I guess I'll put the bolt back on w a spacer now so I can turn later. But wow! That worked pretty well actually. Thanks Imperial, (again) for the help. Man, now Im having a problem getting the timing belt covers off. You know there's like 3 pieces to the cover. I got the very top front cover right off. It was easy. Then I got the bolts off the piece of the cover right under that but that piece just moves all around and everywhere but out of there. Wont come out! Weird. And I'm assuming after I get it out and the other back cover piece I can then take my water pump out. That or take the timing belt off. Not sure which order to go yet. I was able to remove the whole pwr steering pump reservoir, the upper intake and the motor mount. But there's like a horizontal piece of motor mount on the timing belt cover side with 3 long horizontal bolts, 2 without enough clearance to come out, and even though I've gotten all the bolts loose and out as far as they'll go, the piece doesn't want to come out of there. Its kind of in the way. Anyway, as usual, any help, especially with this one, is really appreciated ya'll. THANKS, Marc C.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the rest of the pieces of the timing belt cover off. That j2nd cover piece comes right if you take the idler pulley all the way off. I only had it ;loosened, not off. When I took it off the cover piece fell right into my hands. Then the last timing cover piece at the back comes out only when you get those two 15mm bolts next to the fire wall out. Well, one on the left comes out but the one on the right only had to be loosened. Then I was able to move the pwr steering pump bracket out of the way of that last cover piece and pull it right out. That big motor mount piece comes out fairly easy but only after you take out the 2 long vertical bolts that hold the motor mount housing. Remove that house and out comes the big motor mount piece in the right at the timing belt cover. phew, it was work to get this far but once you do it one time youre good. So all good so far. Now, if anyone knows how I can get the darn power steering pump out I'd be extremely happy. I actually have it all unbolted but cant get the one hose off of the pump. I think its the return. Or the supply obviously. One of the two. The bolt is like glued on there or something. Tight as can be. Makes me think that hose comes undone up further from the pump but I dont see how. Seems like that hose def has to come off at the pump. If I can get the pwr steering pump out I can put the new one in. Then I guess I can take the water pump on out and the timing belt on off. Any assistance is HUGELY appreciated, Marc. Now that I have access to everything all I do is turn crankshaft until marks line up and then swap belts? And I assume I can take water pump out now as well no matter if im at tdc or not? I know not to turn anything after timing belt is off though, Im pretty sure anyway. Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heres where Im at today. The timing belt covers are all off, the power steering pump Is finally out, the water pump is out and the timing belt is OFF as well. I am on way to get new water pump and timing belt from Advance. Ive already got a pwr steering pump. So thats it. IOnstall pwr steering pump, water pump and gasket and water inlet o-ring, timing belt and putn it all back ntogether and she should run fine. BUT, heres the problem. When I took the timing belt off, everything was fine. I was taking the water pump bolts out and in a split second, without any warning whatsoever, the back cam pulley/sprocket jumped counter clockwise!! It went about an 8th of a turn backwards. I freaked. It did this all by itself, just snapped back and now that one cam pulley or sprocket or whatever i should call it is off the timing mark by as lot of teetyh. Maybe ten or so. I didnt want to turn it yet, nothing elkse moved at all, Why would it just jump back like that?? Man, this sucks. Just when I finally got somewhere too. All the work had paid off and I was finally happy with things for a change. Oh well, anyone??? Anyone know what im talking about? And maybe what I can do? Its def an interference motor and a bent valve or 6 is all I need at this point. Man this sucks. Thanks ya'll, not happy, Marc C.

·
Super Moderator
36,935 Posts
The rotation was probably to relieve compression on that bank. Once you are ready to put ti back together there should be a series of dots that you must line up appropriately. It may take a little effort. I'm sure the 2.5 is a little more complex that the 3.0 it shares some design characteristics with. But it was my experience working on the 3.0 that at least one sprocket would rotate a bit when the belt was let off. Then you get it all lined back up as the belt goes on. Once the belt is on, rotate the engine a couple times to make sure the dots stay aligned as they should before you put it all back together.

There isn't enough force when this happens to cause damage even on an interference engine. Just be gentle as you rotate everything back to where it should be to install the belt.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, Valient 67 is dead on. Once I got ready to put it back together I was able to hold the cam sprocket or whatever you call it until I got the belt on and then the belt held it. It hasnt moved since belt was put on. But then again, how could it I guess. I got it all lined up perfect and the belt is on and I turned the whole thing with a long 1/2 inch breaker bar inside the crankshaft pulley twice. The marks all stayed lined up ex, back to having a good day. Thanks!!! Now, the water pump is in, the timing belt is on and i'm putting the timing belt covers, all 3 of em, back on next. Then I will put the new pwr steering pump on that pwr steering pump bracket I had to take off to get the back timing belt cover piece off. I guess I didnt have to take the whole bracket off but I got the two 15mm bolts loose and the rear timing belt cover still wouldnt come out of there! As I kept loosening the 2 bolts one of em came all way out. The right one. I think its the shortest of the 2. So at that point I just took the longest of the 2 left bolt off and bam, the cover came right out. perfect. But now the only problem is that I cant get the shorter 15mm bolt back in. Youre already doing it in the blind and the dang thing just wont go back in for nothing. Left long 15mm one, no problem. Anyway, once the new pwr steering pump's back in I can put the rest of the things back together. Motor mount, hoses, fuel line, g strap, etc, etc. All the stuff I had to mmove to make enough room for me. Then I guess I start her on up. Hopefully it all sounds right and runs right. Will update soon. Thanks for all help and I'll edit this job down to the important details for anyone in the future that may want it. I know I would've loved a step by step. But THANKS lot for all help!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts