Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Short time ago i bought a 1st gen minivan, 3.0 / A604. They used Dexron for the last oil change and i don´t know how long they ran with it.
Transmission shifts fine, says the pre ownor. Timing belt snapped, i´ll fix it this week, so i´ve never been riven this car yet.

Here are some pics of the trans oil condition right now:

I got 12 quarts of Mopar ATF+4 at home, so i´ll change the fluid tomorrow and flush the coolers / lines, when it runs i´ll let the new fluid and filter run through the trans and shift through all gears a few time, drop the pan a second time, change the filter again and refill it.

What do the godfathers of Ultradrive think about this case?

Thanks a lot
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
That's the best thing you can do. And hope it didn't severely shorten the life of the transmission.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the best thing you can do. And hope it didn't severely shorten the life of the transmission.
Yeah i hope so.....but what does the Dexron destroy in a A604?
And what can you say about the transfluid condition? It´s definatly worn....does not smell like ATF+4...

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Dexron is the wrong viscosity, wrong base oil, and has a lower temperature rating.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dexron is the wrong viscosity, wrong base oil, and has a lower temperature rating.
Thanks for info!

dang.....no sleeping today....cause i found the transfluid bottle under the backseat :frusty:

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
The different friction coefficient of Dexron can cause accelerated wear on the transmission clutch friction surfaces.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The different friction coefficient of Dexron can cause accelerated wear on the transmission clutch friction surfaces.
So if the trans is OK (it´s already the second one, sponsored by Chrysler Vienna), how long could you drive with Dexron II? I´ll flush it tomorrow, of course, or i can´t get any sleep,

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Who knows? It would shorten the life somewhat, though if it was shifting OK and not shuddering with the fluid that's in there that's a good sign.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope it´s still OK.....thanks for the great input anyway!

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
Yeah i hope so.....but what does the Dexron destroy in a A604?
And what can you say about the transfluid condition? It´s definatly worn....does not smell like ATF+4...
As posted Dexron has a different coefficient of friction. Dexron is "grabbier" while ATF+4 is "slippery". ATF+4 is needed to allow the proper "slippage" in the A604/41TE (Ultradrive) and other electronically controlled transmissions (545RFE, 62TE, etc) manufactured by Chrysler . The use of Dexron will eventually destroy the clutches.

If it isn't slipping or shuddering you may be alright, but I would expect a shorten transmission life - depends on how long it was actually in there. Good luck!

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
I've seen Dexron destroy one in 2000 miles.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I holed an oil pan on a dirt road (rock jutting up) and had to add four quarts of Dexron to a '95 spirit to get it home. 25 miles. I subsequently changed trans oil pan oil three times using Mitsubishi approved synthetic transmission fluid. I too have my fingers crossed, but that was 16,000 miles and one year ago

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dang...thanks for info anyway, i replaced both oil coolers yesterday, cleaned out the pan etc, checked all bolts on the valve block and refilled it.
Now i´ve to replace the snapped timing belt, then the first start...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally a update.....transmission shifts perfectly...i checked it for any fault codes, nothing. I replaced both of the transcoolers, every lines and hoses, cleaned out the solenoid block and refilled it with ATF+4.

And i´ve to say....12 quarts for a double oil change are not enough :D
So i still can´t drive it till my kast quarts of oil are here.....pretty hard to get it here in Austria.....thanks Fiat ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts