Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing more research on the new 2013 Dodge Dart and found this website. Lots of good info around here! I am a very frustrated 3rd time Honda Accord owner who is "jumping ship" and landing on a Ralye Dart loaded with factory ordered options. The Dart amazed my wife and I when we went to look at a Mazda, and found the Dart side by side with a new Mazda 3. The Dart looked so good, and it apeared to be so well built! A couple test drives and we liked it so much that we went against all wisdom, and ordered the Dart! I have always been told, "don't buy the first year, first model, of any car, let them work the bugs out first", and yet, here we go!!! We test drove Ford Fussion / focus, Toyota, Mazda, Honda, and the Dodge Dart beat them all in our opinion! It's quiet ride, available options, Exciting looks, (not boreing), + great MPG stole us away from all the rest! Now if it will just be reliable, and trouble free, it will take the market by storm! This is after we have owned an 89, 99, & 2010 Honda Accord EX! The 2010 Accord really let us down. Noisy ride, plastic everywhere, and just so behind the times... I sure hope this is a new beginning for Chrysler / Dodge bringing back some pride to what America can build, (with a bit of Fiat's help)... I am betting on it! :1st:

Beachnt

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Good luck. First year bugs are kinda a thing of the past, as well as there no longer being an issue of "it's not a reliable car", problems across the car world are very slim if you look at the actual data. Honestly, if you get a first year model these days it's not really any different then buying one about 2-3 years from now any more. They make changes, but standards these days are crazy high. There are some issues that they've worked out already in the Dart, and by the time your order gets through, I'd expect the problems they did have to be gone.

But anyway, enjoy your new Dart I'm sure you shouldn't have any issues with it. And you picked a Dart over the new Fussion or the old? I'd be a little surprised if you say the new one, cause that's a good car they've made.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, passed on the new 2013 Fusion because: 1. it felt like you were sitting in a hole, or "Low Riding" in the car. The dash is so high, even for someone that is 6'2" tall, I could not SEE the end of the hood. 2. When driving It, it felt like an "old mans" car,,, or like "your dad's" car. (I'm no "kid" at 55, but am also so tired of the same old "boring" cars out there, unlike the "Smart" Dart). 3. In the Ford eco boost turbo model that had the great mileage, it felt like a gut less car, too heavy, underpowered, too sedate, again, an "old mans" car. Interior was great, (except for the hole, or Low Rider feel), Trunk space was great. Ride, and noise were also very good, even a bit quieter than the Dart. Yet, The dart was the winner due to 1,2,& 3 above!

I have also been REAL impressed with all the work, testing, & homework Dodge has done to bring the Dart to market. I never knew any company would do so much work on delivering a good car. It is part of the reason I took the plunge. The 2013 "totaly re-designed Honda Accord" still has too much road and wind noise, even with its "noise canceling" technology. (I think the stereo produces counter harmonics to try to deal with the noise, even my 2010 model has it, and no, it does not work! IMHO the Dart is quieter, and has a beter, smoother, sportier ride. (Sorry, this 33 year devoted Honda EX owner is frustrated to the point of selling a 2.5 year old Honda, at over a $7-8K loss, due to the road / wind noise, harsh ride, elimination of cloth on the doors, center council, and deck lid, (all plastic in 2010), and Manual transmision surge and lag in the wire less throttle / computer program that is "not fixable" per Honda. Honda obviously did not do all their home work)!

Beachnut

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Welcome to Allpar, beachnut. I'm just wondering which drive train was in the Dart you test drove. I haven't checked one out personally, but have heard that it some of the combos take a while to wind up the power. Anyway, I'd still take one over any of the cars you mentioned just by the reviews I've read. Enjoy that new Dart. The world engines have proven to be some of the best on the market. I had a 2.0 in an 08 Caliber and loved it. Too bad it got killed last year in a head on collision.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!

I have never owned a Honda but friend of mine is stuck on them. He has 2001 Civic(with bad trans) and 2008 Accord and both are so noisy on the road! Guess I am very spoiled!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chuzz
Funning you should ask about engine and trans combos as I wrote a topic on it here: http://www.allpar.com/forums/topic/146948-14l-manual-trans-or-automatic/
My desire was real good MPG, my wifes was: manual transmission, moon roof, and room in the trunk for a guitar, in its case. Just try finding that combo in a car today that gets high MPG! Add a moon roof to most cars out there, and BAM, your stuck with an automatic trans.! Ford, Mazda, Honda,(if you can find one, only 2 man. trans. moon roofed cars in the entire State of CA)., and Dodge Dart were the only cars made that fit my wifes requirements. Yet, after driving the Dart, and a huge amount of praying and talking, she opted for an automatic! ( :yahoo: Thank God, as I am sick of the her-kie Jer-kie ride when she drives her stick shift Honda!)

Jaime

Yes, I was "stuck on Honda" for 33 years until this new 2010 Accord EX we bought! Honda has a whole lot of loyal customers, due to building real reliable cars, when other companies dident. But, they will be loosing those customers FAST if they take the time to look at the Dart / Fussion / Mazda 3 / and so many other cars out there now that have come up in reliability, comfort, less noise and are so much better than the Honda's. Oh, also, did you know the "American" Ford Fusion, is made in MEXICO? Yea right, "buy an American Ford" and put Mexico to work! At least Honda is put together in Tenn.! I guess Chrysler is headed to China, too... Maybe after our economy collapses, we will get our jobs back!

Beachnut

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
guess Chrysler is headed to China, too... Maybe after our economy collapses, we will get our jobs back!

Beachnut
That was a truth that was spun into a blatant lie. Jeep is NOT moving to China. They are moving back into China with factories so that they can supply Jeeps at an affordable amount of money and so they can make a profit on the vehicles. Imported vehicles in China are tarrifed into oblivion, if you set up shop there and sell them within the country, it becomes far more affordable to both sides.

And if the economy collapses, trust me, China will be hurting as much if not worse than the US. Why do you think they keep pumping us credit and have yet to actually ask for the money back? Cause they know if they do, they will be more heavily hit than the US, and after the US falls off Japan and Europe will probably go way under as well.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
That's a nice write up on the transmissions, man. I used to be a manual shift guy, but with having a bad back and my wife having had four back surgeries, we have to drive automatics now. I can't say that I miss the manuals, honestly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts