Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 31 Dodge with a 318 in it that never got finished and now the 318 is locked up and the mice live in there. I scored a 360 with a 727 from a motor home that we want to put in there. Someone told me that the motor mounts will not interchange and I will need something special to do this. So, were there different K-members for the 318s and the 360s? I know the Slant was different and I would expect that the big blocks may be different from the A engines.
All of the replacement mounts that I am looking at say they are for 318s and 360s
We have the spool mounts all fabbed up to the chassis for the 318. What do I need to know here to stick the 360 in there?
Thanks to you guys that know all this stuff. I have worked with mostly B and RB stuff before, but this 'A' engine is kind of new to me.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Left mtor mount bracket to the block is different on 360. Mount and K member are the same.

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
They use the same motor mount, bracket that holds it is different, different bosses are on the block.Since you have both engine and matching transmission you don't have to worry about the internal balancing of the 318 and torque converter, and the external balancing of the 360 torque converter. Everything else is pretty much bolt-up, exhaust manifolds are a little larger than on the 318, but that's not a big deal for clearance in your case.

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Got me on that one. The 318 fan and all the attachments (externally, except for the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds, and the heads of course) will interchange with a simple set of hand tools.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of this. I knew about the balancing thing.
I was looking at the two engines and it looks like the block is different on the right side. However, If I go to the bone yard or wherever I will be looking for 360 mount brackets then. Pretty much any car bracket be OK?? It was an F body that we patterned this from.
The Motor home had the old non captured mounts that I didnt know they would have used on this, what we think is a 76 type C, van type.

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Any one should work, since even the Magnum 5.9 is different from the Magnum 5.2. Just one of those things they continued over the years.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
are the oil pans similar? cars and trucks/vans typically didn't share oil pans, so you might need a car 360 oil pan and pickup tube.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I have and a pick up and pan coming. I found out that 318 and 360 pans dont interchange either. I also have some gaskets and core plugs coming as well. Trying to do the best I can on a budget.
It was a class C motor home 360, but there is no differences that I can see on the front, fan, alternator, etc all the same. I took the PS off,

So I am shopping online at www.Summitracing.com The mount and bracket assemblys PNs 2325 and 105- 2326 show to fit the Aspen that we originally got the 318 from. But it shows that they will work with either the 318 or the 360.
I see the performance guys have the MRE 73PLA that shows them different but at ten times the price. We dont really need the high performance parts on this thing. After all its an old motor home engine with 60,000 miles on it. The car aint much either, but it will be alot more fun than the Volare ever was.
I am just trying to get the best deal on what I need, If what I need costs $150 then I will step up, but I am looking at a part in the mid teen$ that shows correct application too. Although I would have to buy the two part numbers rather than The Schumaker kit that has both. OK, so five times as much.

I really appreciate all you guys jumping in on this and yes I sometimes get to rambling........

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Just to help with cross-references, the Aspen is an F-body, like the Volaré. The M-body and J-body are substantially similar in every way that matters for your project, so you can make comparisons there if you find that you need to.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thank you guys for all of the input, It sparked up my brain enough to be to know what I was looking for. After understanding what the difference was I simply got lucky because I am stubborn.[/sizYEEAAA !! Here is what I did, I am surprsed no one knew this. I pulled the 318 mounts to try and make some comparisons to figure out what I should be looking for at the bone yard. For a fact, the drivers side is different and will not directly bolt up to the 360. However I am seeing that I need to move the mount back about 3/8 of an inch. This is just about the same diffrernce between the width of the 318 mount bracket and the 360 mount bracket. I found that if I was to use the front mount holes of the 318 bracket and the front ears on the block they line right up. So I made a spacer (a guy could just use a few washers) to make up that 3/8" difference between the wider mount bracket and the rear block ear and guess what, the motor dropped right in place. Even the tranny mount lined right up from the 904 to the 727.
And all it cost me was a little time and ingenuity. Whoo-Hoo !!e]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no Idea how the last post got all turned aroiung, with the color and fonts being different than I had intendeed. But the message is there.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
That's OK, and glad you got it all figured out nice and easy, mods can be fun or frustrating. The transmission (727/904 have different tailshaft lengths, so the driveline will need to be shortened, the yokes should be the same, but then again, it is a truck (motorhome engine/transmission), so it may be the larger setup, so check it, it is either the same or different (right?).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right, I am finding that everything is either the same OR different.
Havent made the drive line yet, Thats a good thing. These ytrannys have different yokes.
Thanks again all !
Onward and upward !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts