Allpar Forums banner

A bunch of fault codes....

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ImperialCrown 
#1 ·
I got a call from my dad today, and His 04 Ram 2500 Diesel (6spd manual) started to surge while driving. He said the RMP would go up and down inconsistently - the check engine light came on and he got all these codes
P0514
P0633
P0837
P0839
P2121
P2122
from what I found online, they seemed to be different systems (SKIM Key, 4x4 sensor, ect...) He hasn't had any issues in the past, and it "only" has 230,000 miles on the clock. Anyone have any ideas?

#4 ·
The fault codes probably aren't related to any single event.
P0514- battery temperature rationality was addressed in TSB #18-022-07. An ECM reprogram fixed it. http://dodgeram.info...7/18-022-07.htm
P0663 - SKIM secret key not entered is usually set after a ECM or WCM flash or replacement. Any service history on this?
P0837 and p0839 are the 4WD mux switch performance and voltage high faults. Both together would lead me to believe the transfer case 4WD switch is failing. Make sure that the linkage bushings are not worn and the shifter is adjusted correctly.
P2121 and P2122 are the APP does not agree with idle validation and APP voltage low. There is a couple of case histories of a ground strap at the left,rear of the head to firewall that can abrade through a wiring harness. Look for this and tie them away from each other if this is the case. Many technicians will replace the APP first to try and fix this.

#5 ·
Wow sounds somewhat major - I am going to forward all this to him. You guys are awesome! He has not had any problems (the fuel filter did get clogged once on a trip causing it to max out at 65, but that happened under 100,000 miles.)

I will give you an update if I get any more info, or once its resolved.

#6 ·
In reading the link more closely, there is a mistake.
The TSB #18-022-07 was released in 2007 to cover 2003-2005 Ram Cummins. The site states that the TSB flash covers 2007 Rams.
Clean terminals on both batteries are important.
Other modules on the truck may have updates for their software. If this can all be performed for the minimum diagnostic fee/shop charge, have them install the software updates.
They already have the scan tool plugged in and it would be very little extra time for them to do all of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.