Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the drier because I am replacing the compressor but I can't see if it will come off of the condenser or not. Does anyone know if it will come off the condenser after removing bolt for bracket and the screw holding drier to condenser? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,516 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Is this a R-134a or an R-1234yf refrigerant system? There should be an underhood label stating which one. R-134a service is conventional, R-1234yf is not.
The drier is integral and serviced with the condenser.
Did the compressor fail and send debris into the discharge line? If so, you will want to replace the line and condenser.
Has the system been empty or open awhile? If not, I would use the old drier, just draw and hold a vacuum for a few hours.

DESCRIPTION

The A/C condenser is located in the front of the engine compartment behind the front fascia. The A/C condenser is a heat exchanger that allows the high-pressure refrigerant gas being discharged by the A/C compressor to give up its heat to the air passing over the condenser fins (2), which causes the refrigerant to cool and change to a liquid state.

The A/C condenser is equipped with tapping blocks for the A/C refrigerant lines (1). The A/C condenser has an integral A/C receiver/drier (3).

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
. . . I want to replace the drier because I am replacing the compressor but I can't see if it will come off of the condenser or not. Does anyone know if it will come off the condenser after removing bolt for bracket and the screw holding drier to condenser? . . .
I checked parts listing at RockAuto for a condenser that fits a 2014 Dodge Dart. It shows the drier tube mounted on the end cap of the condenser. There is a separate listing and you can purchase the drier tube without the condenser unit.
So the clamp and condenser mount tab must secure the drier in some fashion as you mention. See attached image.

Rectangle Line Gas Automotive radiator part Auto part

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,516 Posts
I did find a Mopar drier listed for the 2.0L/2.4L.

Mopar # 68170700AA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. There's a screw that holds the drier to the radiator/condenser frame. After removing that I could use a screw driver to separate the drier from the condenser.

·
Super Moderator
32,686 Posts
When you change out the drier, be sure to use a new O-ring that should come with the drier, and also wipe it with some PAG oil before installing the O-ring, for a good seal.

Reactions: AllanC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you change out the drier, be sure to use a new O-ring that should come with the drier, and also wipe it with some PAG oil before installing the O-ring, for a good seal.
OK. Thanks. The freon was blown out of the system before I could evacuate it. I've replaced the freon lines and the drier and I bought a used compressor. I have flushed out the condensor. My question is how could I find out how much oil it has or better how much oil to put in. I'm thinking there's probably very little if any. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
32,686 Posts
That's always the challenge.
Usually I judge by how dirty the leaking areas and other connections are. The more dirt or wetness, the less oil remains. Find out how much oil it holds from empty and make a judgment call. The only other way is to flush everything, including the compressor, and refill just under the original amount. Still hard to be accurate.
Underfilling can cause damage to the compressor and rough operation and noise. Overfilling can cause reduced cooling ability and can also hurt the compressor a little, depending on how much it's overfilled.
My older cars held 7 oz from empty. If I replaced all the lines and had a new compressor and evaporator, I'd add back about 5-6 oz. Have had no troubles following this reasoning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts