Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a detailed diagram of the a/c system for the 87 Sundance/Shadow? I was just at the wreckers, and they have several K-cars with AC units. I'm pondering swapping a system in, and can see where most of the components go, but want a clear idea of what I'm in for. As as see it, I'll need to pull:

*ac relay
*dash control unit
*compressor, it's bracket and associtaed bolts
*direr
*condensor
*associated wiring and tubing

Do doubt I'm missing some parts of this list. It may not be a project worth doing, hence my request for diagrams.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
The big problem if you are trying to install factory AC into a non-AC car is that the firewall is different. The holes are in different places for an AC and non-AC car. You would have to cut some new holes and patch some old ones.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
The big thing about putting an AC system in a previously non-equipped AC car is installing the evaporator. I think you will need the complete HVAC plennum which houses the evaporator and heater core and is replaced by removing the entire dashboard. That makes it a very tough project.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If you do end up deciding to put the system in, you might do well to replace the filter-drier. They have silica in them like those "DO NOT EAT" packets you always see in new shoes. Over time, they accumulate water, which I imagine can only be made worse by sitting in a junkyard as part of a potentially leaky A/C system. Any exposure to the atmosphere causes them to pick up some water. When you install a waterlogged filter-drier in an A/C system, it doesn't allow the refrigerant to pass easily, causing the compressor to shut off from high pressure. The refrigerant eventually gets through and the compressor comes back on, causing another overpressure shutdown. You'll get rapid cycling of the compressor and frost forming on the filter-drier.
I wouldn't say that it's technically a very difficult project, but most things on cars, even head gaskets, really aren't. It is potentially a nightmare though, because of the sheer amount of stuff that has to come out or off. You're going to have to dig into the front (passenger side) of the engine at least a little to get the pulley and tensioner mounted, the radiator will have to come out at least partway to get the condenser in (it mounts in front of the radiator), there's electrical work to be done, and then you still have to deal with removing the entire dashboard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts