Allpar Forums banner

A Face Only a Mother Could Love...

7K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  mrneuro 
Yeah, I don't like how it looks either. I think that they should have moved the headlights down into the area around the grille and restyled the grille to be similar to the minivan. At least then it would have had a consistent look with the rest of the product line.

SouthPawXJ said:
The current Ducato is getting long in the tooth. Could it be that they are waiting until the new Ducato comes out to do significant changes to the exterior for the Ram model?
That would be nice if true, but there's a danger that with a bad initial product launch, even the next version could suffer...

mrneuro said:
If you read the allpar article, the engineers chose function over form (moving the headlights up so they wouldn't be damaged in an accident).
And you'll note that I made my post before the Allpar article showed up by about two hours.

I saw what was claimed. I still don't buy it. That front bumper is TALL. TALL TALL tall. They could have easily placed the headlights in the bumper above the steps and still had it high enough to be out of the bulk of danger. Arguably the real bumper is in line with that obvious crossbar low below the crosshair grille. I'd be worried that the unpainted bumpers will be collided with in the dark due to a lack of corner reflectors on them, they stick out so far relative to the headlight assemblies.

It looks to me like they decided to leave it alone because the fender, the hood, and the under-headlight sheet metal is all complicated enough that changing it away from this requires more work or, could impact crash safety standards in the re-test sense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.