Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year to you all!

So I thought I would share this little story with you and you can smile.

I have amazing parents, this is the first part of the story.
So in July of 2012, I drove the Dynasty home from Ontario and put the Daytona back on the road, got it ready to pass inspection, new tires, some exhaust work, brake work, fluids etc. Passes no problems, drive the car for awhile, drive it back to Ontario (from NS) only to find out it won't pass emissions and basically shouldn't be running (even though I was getting a solid 33mpg on the highway at 130km/h). So I decide I'll bite the bullet and drive it back home and put it for sale. It has 2 years safety in NS, and I could use the money to pay off my credit card. So I do just that and take the Dynasty back to Ontario. About 2 months later mom finally calls and says "The car sold, I'm transferring you the money" So I ask who bought it and mom tells me an older couple outside of town, they're going to put it away for the winter and bring it out in the spring. I'm like "cool, I don't want to see the car again, it'll just upset me as to what I had to give up." So I don't talk about the car for the next couple of months and then I go home for Christmas. And 2 days into me being home I notice that there is a piece built onto our storage shed. Mom had talked about building a 'lean to' for the lawn equipment and stuff so that's what I figured was in there. I mention to mom that the piece on the shed looks good and she chuckles and says "yeah, you should go out and have a look at that" So I pick up a flashlight and start out towards the shed. I get halfway there and the brain finally clues in, this addition is big enough to hold a car, my parents are older, and outside of town... I open the door and there sits Loretta, all covered up, up on jack stands. I just draped myself over the hood and had myself a happy cry. So I have amazing parents, and sneaky ones at that!
Now I will save up my pennies so I can buy it back from them, and over the course of the next couple of months, I'm going to slowly start buying new engine management parts because I have no idea where to start with the Emissions stuff and I want the Daytona to run it's best! Even though it's running just fine (but I can smell that it is rich when it's warmed up)

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Great story!

If it gets 33 mpg, emissions CAN'T be that far off. Which test is failing, and by how much - CO, HC or NOx?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great story!

If it gets 33 mpg, emissions CAN'T be that far off. Which test is failing, and by how much - CO, HC or NOx?

I don't have the numbers on me but I will get somebody to grab the sheet out of the car and relay them to me. I think I failed every one lol. It was a sad moment, not to mention the list I things they nit-picked at for safety! It was a long long list and half of the stuff wasn't even needed for actual safety. Basically I need a couple of holes in the floor patched, a new caliper and my e-brake adjusted.

Great story!

I don't have the numbers on me but I will get somebody to grab the sheet out of the car and relay them to me. I think I failed every one lol. It was a sad moment, not to mention the list I things they nit-picked at for safety! It was a long long list and half of the stuff wasn't even needed for actual safety. Basically I need a couple of holes in the floor patched, a new caliper and my e-brake adjusted.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Floor holes can kill you, CO hazard. E-brake is mandatory. So those are legit.

If mpg is that good, it may be something simple to get it to pass emissions. I failed NOx once due to a radiator with fins missing, which made it run slightly hotter. Replacing the radiator made it pass.

Another time I failed HC emissions, and it was due to a mechanic having accidentally advanced the cam a tooth when he changed the timing belt. That one baffled me for nearly 2 months, and the Registry almost canceled my registration because it had failed twice. Setting the valve timing right fixed it.

·
King
3,488 Posts
deder_2 said:
I am so happy we dont have to pass any type of emissions here..I dont think half my fleet would pass..
As of January 1st no more state inspection. Yes I agree I am very happy.
Is it the same in Canada ? 25 years old in NJ.. :thumbsup:
Historic status and QQplates cheaper insurance, what's not to love?

**Great story**

1 - 6 of 6 Posts