Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im changing all the brakelines on my 98 Neon-

when taking down lines from behind i noticed that the line was connected together with a very very big union.(2-3 cm thick)

im wondering what this means? First of all i need to know if this is original mounted,- which i think it is.

for the second-why? what purpose?

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Yes, they are original and need to be there. They are check valves for rear drum brake hydraulics. Make sure that the correct orientation is kept. Mark the bodies with a chalk arrow to remember which way they face. Disc brake Neons didn't use them.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Sorry, maybe I have them mixed up between disc or drum.
If you don't use them a front/rear braking imbalance may occur. It may 'squat' when braking.
I actually think now that they may delay rear brake pressure to the rear calipers instead of hold residual pressure for the wheel cylinders if it were drum.
I would re-use them if at all possible.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
They may have an arrow stamped in them already for proper direction?
You see the two here below have an 'opening' pressure spec printed on it meaning that at 2 psi or 10 psi, I believe the valve opens and lets pressure reach the rear caliper.
You wouldn't want to 'hold' residual pressure to the rear discs, only drums to keep the wheel cylinder cups spread while sitting. They may do this if installed backwards. I would have to see a service manual.
The 'flat' at one end is used for correct orientation. It is a 'metering' valve. Was this Neon originally equipped with rear disc?
ssbc_r_valve_a07642_a07652.jpg

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Neon is an european CS model,-that means the sporty model with the buldge on the hood-

I quess disc-brakes and the check-valves are original mounted since the rust looked as from 98.

I also managed to find right orientation on my union, which is alot bigger that the one on your link.

And yes,- The end heading forward has a larger nipple (the one with that "terrible" dimension to remember,-i have them on my Daytona too)

than the rear end nipple, that is the smallest. The same as the one on your link-

So- then i would be ready for a correct monting-.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts