1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Other than provide some noise dampening, what functional purpose is gained from an engine cover?

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The First Thing I did with the Plastic "Engine Cover" on Our 2010 Journey When We Bought It was to Hang it on the Garage Wall.

TMD

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Other than provide some noise dampening, what functional purpose is gained from an engine cover?
and aesthetics

Mike

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Mike V. said:
and aesthetics

Mike
I used the term "functional" to eliminate aesthetics.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Some are nearly strictly for appearance (I've heard of some being called "appearance covers" in factory service manuals), others are for noise, and others take the place (or augment) the hood heat insulation. In pushrod and timing-belt engines, they greatly reduce injector clicking. In timing-chain driven OHC engines, they reduce chain noise.

One of the quietest engines I've ever heard was an older timing-belt OHC V8, it had no cover. With the hood closed, the only thing you heard was a very faint injector tick, which could have been drowned out by a light breeze.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
I used the term "functional" to eliminate aesthetics.
Advertising, a function of business.

Which engine is lighting up? I'm guessing the 6.7 because if it were the HEMI, 1500's would also have the issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
artsybob said:
The list of recalls was used on Late Night with Conan O'Brien to make another "Chrysler makes bad cars" joke
I wonder if he'll follow it up with a 'Toyota/Nissan/Honda makes bad cars' pun - since they have just announced a collective recall for 3 Million cars worldwide for faulty passenger airbags?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts