Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
370,000 miles
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy is advertising heavily during the NFL games I've watched. The commercials feature the Silverado EV, Blazer EV, and Equinox EV prominently, with a little tiny bit of Bolt thrown in for seasoning. The first three are vehicles that are close to a year away from sale. I'm no marketing expert, but isn't this a waste of money? Or are they hoping to get car shoppers to wait instead of buying a currently available EV from other manufacturers?

Maybe it's like the lab budget at an employer I used to work for - at the end of a fiscal year, my department would go on a lab shopping spree, buying expensive test equipment (such as spectrum analyzers), power supplies, fans, fancy soldering stations, etc. The reasoning was the money was there, and if we didn't spend it by the end of the fiscal year we'd lose it. Maybe something similar is happening at Chevy with their advertising budget?

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,234 Posts
It's for marketing. Buy from GM, we are not stodgy, we are “with it,” we are modern. Most people don’t buy EVs even now, but see EVs as the mark of a company with high technology and progress.

·
Super Moderator
7,145 Posts
Chevy is advertising heavily during the NFL games I've watched. The commercials feature the Silverado EV, Blazer EV, and Equinox EV prominently, with a little tiny bit of Bolt thrown in for seasoning. The first three are vehicles that are close to a year away from sale. I'm no marketing expert, but isn't this a waste of money? Or are they hoping to get car shoppers to wait instead of buying a currently available EV from other manufacturers?

Maybe it's like the lab budget at an employer I used to work for - at the end of a fiscal year, my department would go on a lab shopping spree, buying expensive test equipment (such as spectrum analyzers), power supplies, fans, fancy soldering stations, etc. The reasoning was the money was there, and if we didn't spend it by the end of the fiscal year we'd lose it. Maybe something similar is happening at Chevy with their advertising budget?
Builds hype for their future vehicles and raises the brand image of the entire Chevrolet portfolio by extension.

It’s similar to how Dodge marketed the Demon. Most people will never own one because they were a limited run, but it gave street cred to the rest of the Challenger (and probably Charger) lineup.

·
370,000 miles
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s similar to how Dodge marketed the Demon. Most people will never own one because they were a limited run, but it gave street cred to the rest of the Challenger (and probably Charger) lineup.
But I don't recall Dodge marketing the Demon a year before you could buy one - did they? I don't see anything wrong with Chevy advertising the EVs when they're available, but it just seems wasteful to do it this far in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
Chevy is controlling its image proactively. I’m sure it’s thought of mainly for trucks and SUVs which use a lot of gas. It’s not much difference from what Dodge is doing except Chevy is far more public about it.

Reactions: bp2k7

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
The EV marketing is to bring people into the showrooms in the hope that they order an EV or buy what is in inventory now.

·
Jeepaholic
6,958 Posts
Definitely for ordering, because there isn’t much in the way of current inventory sitting on the lots. Even when these are available, customers will most likely have to order them.

·
370,000 miles
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But you can't order one yet. You can do something Chevy calls "reserve". From their website:

A reservation gets you one step closer to owning an All-Electric Silverado. After you make your reservation, you will be contacted by your selected dealer to complete and submit an order, which is expected to occur several months before vehicle production date.​

I just imagine someone seeing these commercials and becoming convinced they want an electric pickup. They find they can't order a Silverado yet, so they go to Ford and order a Lightning.

·
Super Moderator
40,826 Posts
But you can't order one yet. You can do something Chevy calls "reserve". From their website:

A reservation gets you one step closer to owning an All-Electric Silverado. After you make your reservation, you will be contacted by your selected dealer to complete and submit an order, which is expected to occur several months before vehicle production date.​

I just imagine someone seeing these commercials and becoming convinced they want an electric pickup. They find they can't order a Silverado yet, so they go to Ford and order a Lightning.
Yes, they may got to Ford.
Or they may think “Chevy has something coming. I can wait and keep my current vehicle for now.”
There are people who will fall into each category.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,856 Posts
Because they're trying to carve out market share ahead of launches. There's other EVs going to market ahead of them so they're trying to keep their name in the conversation for potential buyers. And maybe they won't have something to sell the person buying a car TODAY, but for someone who's going to be looking 9-12 months from now...

Also it seems like GM has been doing a lot of EV development however they're almost never in the conversation when it comes to EV product excitement. Like EVERYONE knows about Tesla. Car media are jazzed about EV stuff from BMW and Hyundai/Kia. There's excitement about the Ford EV trucks. But no one seems to give a crap about the EV Equinox and whatever else they have coming.

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,856 Posts
People do seem to forget the Bolt, which is almost a bargain now for what you get.
This is totally my subjective opinion, but it always feels to me like people who buy GM vehicles are previous GM buyers or loyalists. I'm not sure if I'm aware of anyone I've ever known going TO a GM vehicle after owning basically anything else. I think their issue might be partly that their brands kind of have a stigma around them in that sense. Or rather that their vehicles are "pretty OK, I guess".

I will say that I personally HATE their styling. They always seem to get most of it right but then fail to stick the landing. Like the proportions and the lines will look good but then they do a stupid looking front or rear end. And the design language on the Silverado... that's a face only a mother could love.

·
Administrator
40,234 Posts
FWIW, I have met people who own BMWs and such who turn to GM for large SUVs because the Suburban and such have an excellent reputation for quality. Their cars... I guess I agree there. Some people went to GM for Bolts and Volts because of the product. I usually give GM consideration when looking for something since they are American and not Ford.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll echo what others have said. EVs are what's cool, they're what drive customers into the dealership.

To a lesser extent, there's also this, potentially subconscious thought people might have: "It's OK to buy a Suburban because Chevy is a green, cool, tech-forward company. Someone else buying the Equinox EV next year makes up for my gas-guzzling SUV purchase."

·
Administrator
40,234 Posts
I'll echo what others have said. EVs are what's cool, they're what drive customers into the dealership.

To a lesser extent, there's also this, potentially subconscious thought people might have: "It's OK to buy a Suburban because Chevy is a green, cool, tech-forward company. Someone else buying the Equinox EV next year makes up for my gas-guzzling SUV purchase."
There is a lot of halo effect with cars.

When gas mileage mattered, people bought Hondas and Toyota minivans because "Japanese cars have better mileage” even though the new six-speed, 4.0 liter Chrysler minivans had better mileage than the Sienna or Odyssey.

That happened across the board.

So now they are all racing to get an image as the companies that are cool and/or modern and/or green. Mostly the first two because very few people buy cars based on environmental impact in the USA. A lot of people say they do, and maybe they believe it, but research puts "green" concerns way back behind just about everything else...

·
Super Moderator
33,711 Posts
This is totally my subjective opinion, but it always feels to me like people who buy GM vehicles are previous GM buyers or loyalists. I'm not sure if I'm aware of anyone I've ever known going TO a GM vehicle after owning basically anything else. I think their issue might be partly that their brands kind of have a stigma around them in that sense. Or rather that their vehicles are "pretty OK, I guess".

I will say that I personally HATE their styling. They always seem to get most of it right but then fail to stick the landing. Like the proportions and the lines will look good but then they do a stupid looking front or rear end. And the design language on the Silverado... that's a face only a mother could love.
I have driven and owned only Mopars for 43 years, have owned 9 vehicles. But since my 92 Dakota is nearly dead, and I need desperately to replace it soon, I may have to turn to Chevy/GMC for a mid-size truck. For me to say this is like the earth stopping in its orbit, but I have no choice. Ram has nothing for my needs, the full-size trucks are ridiculously big and expensive, and get virtually no better mileage than my 30-year old truck. They are 3 feet longer, 1 foot wider and 10 inches taller, with same or smaller bed size. That's a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FWIW, I have met people who own BMWs and such who turn to GM for large SUVs because the Suburban and such have an excellent reputation for quality. Their cars... I guess I agree there. Some people went to GM for Bolts and Volts because of the product. I usually give GM consideration when looking for something since they are American and not Ford.
100% agree. The Germans and Japanese really don't have anything that competes with the Suburban, Yukon XL, Escalade ESV, Navigator, and Expedition. It's considered socially acceptable for rich, European car drivers to also have these SUVs in their driveway without their peers making fun of them.

·
Administrator
40,234 Posts
It's considered socially acceptable for rich, European car drivers to also have these SUVs in their driveway without their peers making fun of them.
While I didn’t say that, that is absolutely true. The same went for Jeep Grand Cherokees back in the old days... and Wagoneers. The president of Fram had a Wagoneer years back, before United Technologies.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This does three things.

It keeps Chevrolet in consumers minds.
Its shows future products.
It creates the image that they are not just focusing on gas guzzlers, but rather pushing a greener, yet still tough image.

Its a thought out plan, as they will have trouble if they wait too close to the launch to do all of this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts