Allpar Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,224 Posts
It also stakes out a place as “the first $30,000 BEV.” Which it might be. If not, the first $30,000 SUV-BEV. 'Course they could do it the Musk way where they promise it at $30,000 and then sell it for $50,000 with an optional package that costs $8,000 but is never actually delivered. Even if someone else delivers a similar car at that price before they do, they get "mind credit" for it.

·
Registered
897 Posts

No matter how you slice it this is very impressive. 90,000 orders. It's impressive even if only half actually get one. I don't see the Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer reaching these levels anytime soon

·
370,000 miles
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It also stakes out a place as “the first $30,000 BEV.” Which it might be. If not, the first $30,000 SUV-BEV. 'Course they could do it the Musk way where they promise it at $30,000 and then sell it for $50,000 with an optional package that costs $8,000 but is never actually delivered. Even if someone else delivers a similar car at that price before they do, they get "mind credit" for it.
The way the dealers around me are doing things, I wouldn't be surprised to see even the base model Equinox go for $40K. These dealer markups are nauseating.

·
Registered
345 Posts
While I didn’t say that, that is absolutely true. The same went for Jeep Grand Cherokees back in the old days... and Wagoneers. The president of Fram had a Wagoneer years back, before United Technologies.
Bill Harrah of Harrah's Inc loved the Wagoneers as well the only problem he said it was way underpowered in the high elevation he ended up putting a Ferrari V12 under the hood of two of them One is with the stock frontend where the other had a nose grafted from a 365gt. I vaguely remember seeing these as a kid when we would visit our uncle who worked for Bill Harrah for 30 years before both of their passing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The way the dealers around me are doing things, I wouldn't be surprised to see even the base model Equinox go for $40K. These dealer markups are nauseating.
Aren't they !!!! One of my wife's coworkers just bought a used 2020 Cherokee Limited for $36g just 2 years ago you could purchase the same vehicle for about $30g new at the right dealership.

·
Registered
15,859 Posts
The Maverick shows another direction.....a hybrid that has no electric range anxiety and starts at $20k. Ford closed the order books on Maverick again only a few days after opening them due to high demand.

Toyota is seriously looking at reviving the Hilux compact as a HEV and having it in showrooms before 2025.

Reactions: npaladin2000

·
LOAD "*",8,1
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid, 2018 Kia Niro
1,131 Posts
1. It builds hype
2. It appeases the politicians
3. Relating to 2, it probably gains some sort of good-boy tax credits.
4. It makes GM appear futuristic and technological
5. It distracts from the ancient pushrod engines they use in the riff-raff models. :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,224 Posts
Bill Harrah of Harrah's Inc loved the Wagoneers as well the only problem he said it was way underpowered in the high elevation he ended up putting a Ferrari V12 under the hood of two of them
They were definitely underpowered by the 1970s. Those AMC V8s did not age well. AMC did not, in fairness to their basic design, do the “4.0” treatment on them. I suspect AMC could have doubled their power.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts