Allpar Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
How can VW use the Scout name? I'm confused here.
Successor company from multiple sales of the original leaves VW with name rights UNLESS name rights were abandoned along the way. If so, then they could have applied and received those rights. You can be sure that the only resemblance to an original Scout will be the name, 4 wheels and probably 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Willys was one of the biggest automakers going into the war. Postwar, they were clobbered. What you said doesn't contradict what I said. Kaiser bought Jeep for the same reason - their cars were no longer selling because competition was too heavy from GM and Ford.

What would have been interesting: instead of creating AMC from the independents, tacking Packard and Nash, at least, onto Chrysler.
At least a couple of the independent OEM's......due to smaller size and more flexibility....did have some very early success in the post war period, but just didn't have the resources to keep up with the relentless annual model changes which defined the way Ford and GM did battle with each other. Even ChryCo. slipped from its pre-war 2nd. place position in the industry.

I seem to remember having read someplace (wish I could remember where).......that supposedly during the early 1950's, some "on the quiet" back-channel talks had taken place where Packard more or less "begged" ChryCo. to absorb them. Supposedly, the overtures on the part of Packard were rejected.

IF that was indeed the case, then I would consider that one ot ChryCo.'s bigger mistakes of the 20th. Century. A Packard under ChryCo. would have neatly filled the luxury / prestige niche that the single Imperial model just couldn't pull off by itself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"VW owns Traton, Traton now owns Navistar, Navistar owns Scout. Having only sealed the deal a few months ago, though, any plan to build a new Scout would be in its infancy."
Well that explains my question.
I know its Motortrend, but just because VW now has access to the name doesn't mean they weren't already working on vehicles that could now use that name. VW has been trying for years to make a bigger splash in North America so R&D has probably been looking at options like this for some time.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
39,107 Posts
I know its Motortrend, but just because VW now has access to the name doesn't mean they weren't already working on vehicles that could now use that name. VW has been trying for years to make a bigger splash in North America so R&D has probably been looking at options like this for some time.
I do suspect the combo of R1S and Bronco convinced them it could be done.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts