Allpar Forums banner

A new Scout to compete with Jeep?

6K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  77 Monaco Brougham 
#1 ·
#13 · (Edited)
For me, this all boils down to one thing......The all-out attack by the competition against Jeep is only intensifying.

Its heritage from The Second World War notwithstanding, Jeep as a brand for most of its history has never had to fight really hard for its place in the market. The new Ford Bronco models represented a kind of "shot across the bow" at Jeep. Now the rest of the competition must be sensing that there is some weakness on Jeep's part that could be mercilessly attacked.

Yikes!......This is starting to sound like an episode of Marlin Perkin's Wild Kingdom!:p:ROFLMAO:

#3 ·
My uncle had a Scout when he lived out in Arizona, it was just an old beater by that point. It had a manual trans, and I was just learning to drive a manual then. You could remove the top, all it required was undoing about a thousand bolts IIRC. :LOL:

Oh, and here’s another link to an article in case anybody doesn’t have/want a subscription to the WSJ:

#4 ·
One of my best friends in high school was a 6th gen farmer. His grandmother told him upon graduation he could pick any car or truck he wanted no matter the cost. A bunch of us went to every dealer in two towns helping him decide. So on Sunday morning word got out his new car was parked in the back parking lot of the church. We all scrambled to to a fully tricked out "Scout"! After all the muscle cars we looked at he picked a Scout.
In the end we had so much fun in the Scout. Taking off doors, taking off the roof and using the wench to pull people out of the mud or the sand at Myrtle Beach. He drove the wheels off that sucker.

#7 ·
"VW owns Traton, Traton now owns Navistar, Navistar owns Scout. Having only sealed the deal a few months ago, though, any plan to build a new Scout would be in its infancy."
Well that explains my question.

#8 ·
As long as everyone else is including links......
As they say......When on Allpar...Do as the Allparians do!:p:ROFLMAO:

#15 ·
VW will keep the looks, too, I'm pretty sure of that. Especially the round headlights. They know how big nostalgia is - otherwise nobody would have ever bought one of their vans/minivans.

Yes, Jeep had it pretty easy in the core business. They have progressed, but they did largely act like they had a monopoly, which they did.

Not having competition is exactly why Willys gave up everything but Jeep.

#17 ·
I remember people bragging that Wrangler has no competition and Jeep could keep printing money and keep long cycles. But even before Bronco there was competition - some not so direct maybe, but used was always competition for new. Now competition is coming on several fronts. Time to shorten the cycle, get done substantial mid-cycle updates and protect Wrangler’s turf. And make my next Gladiator even more impressive.

#18 ·
With several companies planning or producing vehicles that target the removable top Wrangler perhaps Jeep needs to branch out itself and once again offer a solid axle fixed metal roof vehicle. Fixed metal roof would improve interior space while solid axles would provide off road capability close to that of the Wrangler. Make it uniframe and save some weight to improve fuel efficiency.

#28 ·
Scout Being Revived

Jeep currently owns the PHEV space for off-road, but VW is coming with an “all-American” BEV entrant: Scout. Factory will be located in South Carolina and has a US leadership team for the brand. Given VW’s resources, nobody should be sleeping on this move.

#30 ·
I think the reason Stellantis is bringing the Recon out next year is to directly take on Scout.

Reactions: tabutler
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.