Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 15 years, it was time to retire my old Audio Technica turntable. I decided on this new Fluance RT83 with an Ortophon OM10 Red stylus/cartridge. It is a huge step up from what I had before. It plays and sounds wonderful.
R-1244164-1420840217-1614.jpeg.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Suddenly vinyl is collectible again. It is estimated that vinyl sales will surpass CD sales this year.
I still have a lot of my records and a few quality turntables in storage. I might play a Christmas album once a year. I also have some bakelite 78s.
The thrift stores couldn't give them away a few years ago and many went to the landfills.
I have been recording and playing reel to reel tapes lately as well.
My Chrysler 200 didn't come with a CD player, so I had to learn how to download music on a thumbdrive. The wife says that I have finally entered the 21st century.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
We must have 100+ vinyl records. I've sort been looking for a player (the one we have is kaput).

I C - my wife had to load music on the MP3 player she got me for Christmas. Some things I just don't do well.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I happened to listen to my "Thick as a Brick" LP the other day. I have a mint copy of the 1/2 speed master, done by MFSL.

Technics SL-1100A with a Shure V15, Type III cartridge. Carver CT-23 pre-amp, Carver TFM-35x amp.
DCM Time Window 3 speakers. Very realistic presentation!

Sure beats listening to compressed MP3 files, "shimmery" Serious Radio and poorly recorded CDs for sure.

Ian Anderson was in my room, performing for me. :)

MFSL LPs are superior sounding. If you have any favorite artists look them up on the net to see if they have a recording done by them.
I was lucky to have scored the MFSL Beatles Box Set years ago. Numbered in the 2000 range out of 25,000 sets made world wide in 1981.

Happy Listening!

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suddenly vinyl is collectible again. It is estimated that vinyl sales will surpass CD sales this year.
I still have a lot of my records and a few quality turntables in storage. I might play a Christmas album once a year. I also have some bakelite 78s.
The thrift stores couldn't give them away a few years ago and many went to the landfills.
I have been recording and playing reel to reel tapes lately as well.
My Chrysler 200 didn't come with a CD player, so I had to learn how to download music on a thumbdrive. The wife says that I have finally entered the 21st century.
I miss the days when I could score decent used records at thrift stores for a $1 a pop. I had the hard drive system on my 13 200, and I had it completely filled with music. I bet someone was surprised when they got that car and they checked out the HD.

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We must have 100+ vinyl records. I've sort been looking for a player (the one we have is kaput).

I C - my wife had to load music on the MP3 player she got me for Christmas. Some things I just don't do well.
If you want to get a new turntable and just want to go plug and play, I'd recommend the Audio Technica AT60X. It's a nice basic tt that is pretty good quality amd isn't too pricey.

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I happened to listen to my "Thick as a Brick" LP the other day. I have a mint copy of the 1/2 speed master, done by MFSL.

Technics SL-1100A with a Shure V15, Type III cartridge. Carver CT-23 pre-amp, Carver TFM-35x amp.
DCM Time Window 3 speakers. Very realistic presentation!

Sure beats listening to compressed MP3 files, "shimmery" Serious Radio and poorly recorded CDs for sure.

Ian Anderson was in my room, performing for me. :)

MFSL LPs are superior sounding. If you have any favorite artists look them up on the net to see if they have a recording done by them.
I was lucky to have scored the MFSL Beatles Box Set years ago. Numbered in the 2000 range out of 25,000 sets made world wide in 1981.

Happy Listening!
Ooooooh, I'd love to find a copy of that. I'm a JT fan (between vinyl and CDs) I have pretty much the whole catalog. There's quite a few MFSL titles I'd love to have. You have a killer setup there. I need to look up DCM speakers though. I'm not familiar with that brand. Those Technics turntables are built like a tank. I was considering a Technics when I was looking at a new one. I've wanted that MFSL Beatles box set ever since HS in the late 80s, after seeing them around $1000 or more on ebay, it might be a while longer before I end up with one.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Found my MFSL Beatles Box Set on ebay about 10 years ago for $600. 14 LPs in it.
Certainly an audio bargain at that price. Incredible sound quality!
The voices and instruments are just THERE, hanging in space, 3 dimensional like,
surrounded by silence.

Incidentally, my DCM Time Window 3 speakers are phase and time coherent.

Read up on the old DCM company. Ignore the current one. Not the same innovative products like back in the 70s, 80s, 90s......

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Found my MFSL Beatles Box Set on ebay about 10 years ago for $600. 14 LPs in it.
The voices and instruments are just THERE, hanging in space, 3 dimensional like,
surrounded by silence.

Read up on the old DCM company. Ignore the current one. Not the same innovative products like back in the 70s, 80s, 90s......

Totally NOT the same thing, but reading this post sparked a recent memory : -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msYTb-F1jlI

Might be of some interest ...

Anyway, as you were { very interesting conversation } .

I happen to like digital, merely ( and only ) due to portability in small footprint. However, great analog is its own experience, set apart from all others.

{ J.T. - 'Back to the Family ' }

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I also have digital... MFSL and DCC gold CDs. Digital 1/2 speed recordings and not compressed.

Sheffield Sound Labs makes direct to CD discs. No mixing boards involved in the recording chain.
It makes a difference. :cool:

Superior to regular CDs.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I also have digital... MFSL and DCC gold CDs. Digital 1/2 speed recordings and not compressed.

Sheffield Sound Labs makes direct to CD discs. No mixing boards involved in the recording chain.

Superior to regular CDs.

Thank you.

I appreciate your insights in this regard.

Quite interesting.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Spinning my 1999 copy of the 25th. Anniversary of Band on the Run.

Just pulled the cellophane off.

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
surrounded by silence.

You lucked out big time on that box set. I have heard lots of great things about the sound quality and overall detail in their mix. I need to read up on them then. Right now I am satisfied with my JBLs. If I ever get lucky to upgrade my amp and speakers, I need to consider a nice well cared for vintage set of theirs.

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Superior to regular CDs.
Another kicking myself moment. About 20 years ago, I found a bunch of MFSL golddisc CDs on special at a Sam's club of all places. They were only a few dollars more than a regular retail CD.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
You lucked out big time on that box set. I have heard lots of great things about the sound quality and overall detail in their mix. I need to read up on them then. Right now I am satisfied with my JBLs. If I ever get lucky to upgrade my amp and speakers, I need to consider a nice well cared for vintage set of theirs.
I had JBL Jubals in the past. Then, I ran across Ohm F speakers! From that day on, I was a believer in phase and time coherent speakers.
The "F" speakers had placement issues for me, being omnidirectional. Room was too small!!

There are some out there like Theil and Vandersteen, for example. Maybe you can find a used pair?
I found my vintage DCM speakers on the local craigslist. I put a WANT ad out and had a guy respond. He had a pair from his late dad. Clean, one owner. And they were the harder to find, and more adjustable, Model 3 version!!

I have a few sets of OHM C2 speakers. They use the electronics to get close to being time coherent. Different ways to do the same thing.
Their Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers get rave reviews on Youtube. But new, they do cost some dough! I'd like to find some and compare them to the 1990s era DCMs.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Listened to a MFSL copy of
Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Sure takes your mind off things.

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just spent two weeks away from work to keep myself away from some of the risks of being in retail (20 years of time there equals a ton of paid time off). During my time staying inside, I spent a lot of time spinning some vinyl. It is amazing how much extra detail and how much clarity this new turntable and cartridge setup brings to my collection.

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Listened to a MFSL copy of
Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Sure takes your mind off things.
I just have an original issue and to be honest, it does not sound all that great. Pops and crackles abound and it looks minty. I think instead of virgin vinyl, Columbia must have used something akin to streetwalker vinyl.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Interesting. The quality of the vinyl certainly plays into the sound you get out!! My original Colombia record, wore out and got tossed decades ago.

Yesterday night, I listened to my original copy of "Photograph". (Ringo Starr - 1973)
I was surprised how good is sounded, from a pop and click standpoint! I had an "ok" set up back then, but nothing spectacular. Guess the stylus back then, didn't carve it up too bad! Perhaps what I have now gets into the groove better, where there is less to no wear??

I remember that, at some point, certain companies DID used recycled vinyl, but I thought that was in the 80s, as CDs took over.
Man, early CDs sounded tinny. Again, MFSL and DCC made many remaster CDs from the master tapes, which sound MUCH better than the usual CDs which were made of second, third or whatever copies of the master tapes. Every generation loses some quality.

Thinking that some "Blood, Sweat and Tears" will get queued up later today.
I have Dark Side of the Moon, MFSL, too. :)
That will need a Guinness chaser! LOL!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts