Allpar Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
A lot of old CDs were made from 2nd and 3rd generation tapes.
When CDs became popular, most were rushed out to the public.
A lot had too much “treble seasoning”!
Remastered audio is only as good as the guys doing the work.

Keep in mind the original mix is what the artist intended and signed off on.

Yes, a later re-do can sound better today, but it’s apples to oranges, imo.
The 'treble seasoning' is the result of RIAA equalization for records. To reduce hiss on a record, the higher frequencies were boosted on the 2nd and 3rd generation tapes. When played back on a record, the higher frequencies were reduced and also reduced the inherent noise from the needle scrapping the groove of the record. This RIAA equalization circuit was built into phono input of the amplifier. If you put these recordings directly to a cd, the boosted higher frequencies would be present.

I have an older denon amplifier with mirage speakers. The girls found it cool to put their heads in front of the speakers and have their hair blow back from the air coming out of the tuned port (dark side of the moon was tops). Hooked this up to my tv, felt the bass on the second floor when playing vhs/dvd movies. There is no substitute for moving massive amounts of air to get bass that make sub-woofers envious.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Most, if not all, master recordings were done on tape. The RIAA curve helps to get rid of tape hiss.
It also allows for bass without the extreme excursions of a non RIAA curve. Your stylus could not follow a 20 hz note without popping out of the groove!
Interesting solution to a few problems...

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
JA - What are you spinning these days?
I had a free morning today and listed to Eye In The Sky by Alan Parsons Project. That has become on of my go to albums when I want to test any improvements I have made to my equipment. Great songs and an amazing production.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I started recording some of my favorite lps to digital years ago. Even the cleanest recording resulted in a huge wave file on my pc. The cuts from lps do have a warmer sound to them but took up too much data. I can find most anything I want on itunes now a days.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
LPs sound best on a turntable. Keeps everything in an analog sine wave.

No sampling rate "gaps" in the audio chain.

·
Administrator
35,258 Posts
All I can say is I am really glad other people care about turntables as they are used properly, rather than as DJ scratch-and-noisemaking tools. It was very hard for a while to shop for turntables, they were all being made with heavy tone arms and such.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
My vintage Shure V-15 Type III
tracks at 1 gram.

No scratching here!!

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
My vintage Shure V-15 Type III
tracks at 1 gram.

No scratching here!!
Had no idea there was anything that tracked that lightly. My Ortofon cart tracks at 1.8 grams and I have to be really careful walking closely around the turntable.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
You need to improve the isolation of the turntable.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts