Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a Charger in Copperhead Pearl, but when I stopped in today they said that that color is no longer available for order. I was told that it may be available next month.

Is this likely or has the Copperhead Pearl run ended?

·
3,813 Posts
• Copperhead Pearl Coat Paint (PLB) will no longer be offered and has been turned off. (Updated 12/05/12)

Copperhead was discontinued in December. It isn't coming back.

·
Registered
267 Posts
JRS200x said:
• Copperhead Pearl Coat Paint (PLB) will no longer be offered and has been turned off. (Updated 12/05/12)

Wha?? Why? Are they doing what Nissan did with the Maxima?

·
3,813 Posts
My guess is they have a certain amount of paint for the model year, and when they run out, its over. All I know is that you can't order Copperhead anymore.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JRS200x said:
My guess is they have a certain amount of paint for the model year, and when they run out, its over. All I know is that you can't order Copperhead anymore.
Crush still shows in the Wrangler Build Your Own page, but people are telling me they can't get it, it's no longer available for order.
What does your info tell you?

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JRS200x said:

Thank you. It sure wasn't available for very long.

I was hoping to order one. Seems there are only a couple within a 150 miles of me, neither really optioned out the way I want.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Christopher said:
Thank you. It sure wasn't available for very long.

I was hoping to order one. Seems there are only a couple within a 150 miles of me, neither really optioned out the way I want.
Observing what is happening with Challenger, Charger and Jeep colors, it would appear that if the color you want is available with the options you want, jump on it, because, with the exception of the whites and grays, the colors seem to be nearly all limited runs.

·
3,813 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Crush still shows in the Wrangler Build Your Own page, but people are telling me they can't get it, it's no longer available for order.
What does your info tell you?
Dozer Yellow (PY5) and Crush (PL4) paints are now closed for early build-out. (Updated 10/10/12)

Neither color has been available since October and are done for the year.

Gecko is also done as of November sometime as I recall.

PSC

Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat

View Details

PX8

Black Clear Coat

View Details

PW7

Bright White Clear Coat

View Details

PGH

Commando Green

View Details

PTT

Dune Clear Coat

View Details

PKT

Rock Lobster Clear Coat

View Details

PBU

True Blue Pearl Coat

View Details

Those are the current colors (sorry for the crappy formatting)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Thanks.
That's what I was afraid of. I'm getting emails from a lot of ticked off folks who waited too long or were not able to buy when the colors were available.
There are a few Crush and Gecko Unlimiteds in our area, but they are not optioned correctly for the buyers wants.

·
3,813 Posts
Snooze ya lose. Should have just ordered their cars when the colors were available. Hope they weren't waiting for the right deal or something ;)

Sometimes, that deal never comes and you miss your opportunity completely.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JRS200x said:
Snooze ya lose. Should have just ordered their cars when the colors were available. Hope they weren't waiting for the right deal or something ;)

It's not that simple.
The problem with Wrangler is two fold (or several)
First, many waited for the 3.8 to be replaced. While that took excruciatingly long, many of the choice colors, originally offered to entice folks into the inferior Jeep motor, were dropped when the 3.6 came.
Second, new interiors were teased, some folks waited again, only to find out that perennial favorite, Jeep Green, wasn't offered.
Some waited for the hard tops to be repaired (new vendor and slow build rate).
Some waited for the new improved heads to make their debut.
Some waited for the Jeep pickup that is periodically teased.
Some waited for the 8 speed.
Some waited for the diesel.
Some waited for the new NAV system.
Some indeed waited for year end pricing.
Some are still fooled by the Chrysler web site that SHOWS all of these discontinued colors. ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
JRS200x said:

It's not always about waiting for the "Best Deal"...sometimes you aren't in a position to responsibly afford the vehicle within the limited time-frame that they choose to offer the Fun Colors.

Sure, it's good to "collectors" or other types who are looking for baked-in exclusivity...but for the Average Car Buyer who just happens to be a fan of High Impact Colors, their paint decisions are maddening.

For example, right now I'm waiting for more color choices on the Charger. My first choice is Sub-Lime or Green With Envy (I like 'em both the same) and my second choice is PCP.

So...with PCP supposedly coming out for a limited run this spring, do I pull the trigger on that...or do I wait to see if they DO decide to do High Impact Greens again..and take the chance of missing out on a sure-thing?

Not a very good way to endear customers to your company. I could understand it if they did this on niche vehicles like the Viper...but come on, it's a Charger.

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chewie402 said:
It's not always about waiting for the "Best Deal"...sometimes you aren't in a position to responsibly afford the vehicle within the limited time-frame that they choose to offer the Fun Colors.

Sure, it's good to "collectors" or other types who are looking for baked-in exclusivity...but for the Average Car Buyer who just happens to be a fan of High Impact Colors, their paint decisions are maddening.

For example, right now I'm waiting for more color choices on the Charger. My first choice is Sub-Lime or Green With Envy (I like 'em both the same) and my second choice is PCP.

So...with PCP supposedly coming out for a limited run this spring, do I pull the trigger on that...or do I wait to see if they DO decide to do High Impact Greens again..and take the chance of missing out on a sure-thing?

Not a very good way to endear customers to your company. I could understand it if they did this on niche vehicles like the Viper...but come on, it's a Charger.
Right. We're talking a Charger. Not a Viper. If we were talking a niche vehicle, I would understand it. I'd even understand it if it were something limited to the SRT line. But a run of the mill family sedan?

Why didn't I order immediately when the color became available? My goal was to order at the beginning of March so the car would arrive around my birthday and the (relative) end of crummy weather. I wanted to pay off my other debt before buying a car. I have done that and hoped to accumulate a larger down payment than I have at the moment. I also wanted to see what the Daytona package looked like in person.

Right now, there are none optioned out the way I want within 150 miles according to the dealership. I've get them looking, but odds are, I'll be settling for something. For purchasing my first brand new car, I find this disappointing.

It doesn't help either that the brochures only became available in the last week or so showing it as an available color. I've seen brochures come out that indicate a late availability color, but a color that comes and goes *before* the brochures come out and the general public knows about it seems a bit backwards. I was pretty tuned in to the fact that the color was available, but if someone who hasn't been looking for this comes in and wants to order one, they're going to be in for a surprise. And I don't think that it'll be the good kind.

I'm sure there is a reason. That's one thing I've learned around here, especially with Bob's input, but this just seems poorly executed.

·
3,813 Posts
Chrysler's site shows the discontinued colors because the colors ARE still available. I can find a good number of any color that you want right now. They ARE available, sure we're splitting hairs because you can't order one from the factory anymore in those colors, but the colors ARE still available.

So then you say, well they aren't equipped the way my customer wants them to be... Well again, tough bleep. You are basically saying Chrysler needs to specifically cater to a customer because the customer wanted to keep waiting for various reasons before buying their Jeep. We aren't talking about a small custom shop, we are talking about a giant corporation, it isn't that easy and you know it.

Again, ya snooze you lose. I udnerstand waiting for the 3.6 to come out and being disappointed in color choices but color choices ALWAYS change year to year, waiting for most of the other stuff.. well that was just a mistake on their part. Imo.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Although we may find it hard to believe, the vast majority of buyers do not follow Allpar, or read the factory color availability charts.
Nor do they have access to the dealership ordering system.

No, they just go about their lives and one day, sitting at an intersection they look up and see this beautiful and sporty Chrysler product roll by them in a beautiful color.
They rush home to pull up information on their computer and there it is!
They build and price online and then run out to their dealer on the first weekend they aren't working.
The semi friendly salesman tells them, I don't have that car, but I have 47 in white and 29 in gray. I don't have that with an automatic and I don't have the leather seats... Oh...and if you snooze you loose.

Can we even be open minded about why folks gets turned off by the buying experience?
Instead of palming off the mis-ordered cars languishing on the sales lot, a dealer (lots of them) could be talking to the factory about why these colors are so limited and how x number of sales are lost, or maybe explaining the JD Powers and CR why customer satisfaction is not 100% when you stick someone with a car that is "close" instead of the car that they were passionate about.
Yeah, you might make that sale, but in the heart of the buyer, they are already dissatisfied.
Chrysler snoozed over color selection timing and in the long run they may lose.

Edited, misuse of pronoun. ;)

·
3,813 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Although you may find it hard to believe, the vast majority of buyers do not follow Allpar, or read the factory color availability charts.

No, they just go about their lives and one day, sitting at an intersection they look up and see this beautiful and sporty Chrysler product roll by them in a beautiful color.
They build and price online and then run out to their dealer on the first weekend they aren't working.
The semi friendly salesman tells them, I don't have that car, but I have 47 in white and 29 in gray. I don't have that with an automatic and I don't have the leather seats... Oh...and if you snooze you loose.

Can we even be open minded about why folks gets turned off by the buying experience?
Instead of palming off the mis-ordered cars languishing on the sales lot, a dealer (lots of them) could be talking to the factory about why these colors are so limited and how x number of sales are lost, or maybe explaining the JD Powers and CR why customer satisfaction is not 100% when you stick someone with a car that is "close" instead of the car that they were passionate about.
Yeah, you might make that sale, but in the heart of the buyer, they are already dissatisfied.
You are twisting my words... again, I can get any of those discontinued colors you want right now in a MULTITUDE of configurations on a Wrangler. True, you cannot order them from the factory anymore but that is how it works. Do I wish they would remove the colors from the website to reflect what you can currently ORDER? Absolutely, but Chrysler has such a terrible website that what colors they show on it are honestly the least of my worries there.

Furthermore, you act like we are the only company who sticks people in cars that are CLOSE to what they want instead of what they are passionate about. We aren't. You are being unrealistic by thinking that Chrylser can 100% satisfy everyone all the time and provide every color people want when they want it.

Also, the snarky comment "Although you may find it hard to believe, the vast majority of buyers do not follow Allpar, or read the factory color availability charts. Nor do they have access to the dealership ordering system." is ridiculous. I am well aware of how much people know and how much they don't when they walk in a dealership. In fact I would wager I am much more aware of it than you are. You are right, they see the color, they want it, they come in, and guess what.. I CAN GET IT FOR THEM. It may not be exactly equipped to their specifications, but it will be close and they leave happy, which apparently is shocking to you. If they walk in to a dealership and the sales person just tells them sorry, you have to pick between gray, black and white, well go to a different dealership, because again, EVERY COLOR IS AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW. If people are really THAT picky about getting the exact car they wanted, then yes... its too bad they waited, I can't change the fact that it is no longer available and that Chrysler cannot offer them exactly what they want when they finally decide to buy. That really is life Norm...

Also, most people that come in here and want EXACTLY what they want also don't want to wait for it, so ordering for those people when they find out it takes 6-8 weeks for delivery is out... They settle, they live, they are happy. Can't please everyone all the time.

Let me clarify too, this is not an attack at Norm and could just be the differing views from someone "in the business" and someone on the outside. I do know how frustrating it can be to the average customer, and UNDERSTAND why it is. I also know why Chrysler does it like this (and I think Norm does too).

·
Administrator
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MoparNorm said:
Although you may find it hard to believe, the vast majority of buyers do not follow Allpar, or read the factory color availability charts.

Not entirely dissatisfied, but definitely not satisfied. Most of the people I've been talking to about this car have asked about it since I'm ready to pull the trigger and their response has been on the order of "What!? You're kidding?" When I tell them no, I'm not kidding, they shake their heads and chalk it up to another 'domestic manufacturer blunder,' whether it is or not.

Keep in mind, of my friends I'm the only one who really likes about cars. To them, a car is a car is a car and all they really care about is about being reliable.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Let me clarify too, this is not an attack at Norm and could just be the differing views from someone "in the business" and someone on the outside. I do know how frustrating it can be to the average customer, and UNDERSTAND why it is. I also know why Chrysler does it like this (and I think Norm does too).

Ignoring everything else you wrote, I'll just say that you misinterpreted my entire post.

Those were not my words, or my thoughts. I wrote that entirely from the perspective of the customer. They are frustrated and we are losing sales. They want to hear something other than the 'you snooze and lose' response given.

Specifically they have already searched inventory, the options they wanted are not on the vehicles remaining in stock.

·
3,813 Posts
Ok, I still don't see what you would have Chrysler do (outside of keeping the color available all year long, which I am sure there are reasons they aren't).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts