Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I have disassembled my solenoid pack and as you can see on this picture there's no visual damage and everything seems nice and clean.

The reason for taken this thing apart was transmission slippage and the question is should I rebuild this solenoid pack, or is it waste of time and money?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,681 Posts
I might be wrong, but I've read the selenoid pack should never be disassembled. It needs to calibrated exactly and even pro's don't disassemble them. Best recommendation is to replace the selenoid pack.

Slipping usually indicates low fluid level, worn clutches or an internal problem, What led you to the selenoid pack as being the source of the problems? Did you ever retrieve the fault codes from the TCM? Note - you need a special reader to get the codes - a standard engine reader will not get the TCM codes.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
I've had them apart - found nothing that requires calibration. I don't get why they always say they need calibrating.

Anyway, yours is apart so you don't have a lot of choice - either rebuild or replace it. You're going to want new gaskets at any rate.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Not that they need calibrating, but the Chrysler factory service manuals warn you not to disassemble them for service as the factory 'calibration' may be upset. I have always just replaced them when they had an issue.
Electrically they seem to hold up well. Many fault codes pointing to a clutch sense switch or shift solenoid are not a pack fault, but a wiring or an internal transaxle clutch problem instead.
I will replace them if they leak or if clutch lining/metal particle debris has fouled the hydraulics.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try give you best problem description that I can. In December 2011 my trany starts slipping, I have send the transmission to repair shop for an general overhaul. They have changed necessary parts like clutches, planetary gear etc. and recommend changing solenoid pack too, but I need to save some money before Christmas and decide changing solenoid pack only if necessary. When I put the transmission back in my car it's still slipping. Then I have read an article about solenoid pack rebuilding ( thanks Jeremy ) and decide try something like this. Now I have three solenoid packs. One from 98 GC 3,3L , this is on this picture above. I have tested this solenoid pack in my car with repaired transmission, but they wont shift instead of revers gear. Second one is from my car1996 GC 3,8L AWD, but this solenoid pack shifts only first gear and reverse. Third solenoid pack is from 1990 3,0L Caravan. This pack will shift only to first, second and reverse gear. Right now I'm driving wit solenoid pack from 1996 Town & Country 3,8L borrowed from my friend. I want to put first pack in to my car, because this one isn't so loud like those other two, but I'm pretty unsure if rebuilding this pack isn't waste of time when I can't see any damage on this pack.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Did you flush the transmission lines, and radiator cooler when you replaced the transmission? Maybe there's a blockage in one or the other.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I flushed radiator cooler and transmission lines are brand new.
BTW I can't find transmission lines connecting diagram. How can I find out which line goes where?

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Engine side = return, wheel side = supply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts