Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 Caravan 3.0L :
The reverse band in my A670 broke leaving a band in at the bottom of the pan. No other metal present with the exception of some tiny flakes.

I have never disassembled one of these. The now damaged unit shifted beautifully in all gears before the band broke.

I was wondering if this unit could be salvaged with only replacing the reverse band with another good one from another A670 core. I have 2 cores.

YOur thoughts?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
You will still need a gasket set (big O-ring and gasket) for the front pump. I think I'd buy a replacement band rather than put a used one in there. If you don't already have a manual (or access to one), you should get one. I see there is one on E-Bay for $28 shipped and sometimes you can do better price wise with a used one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-A404-A670-404-670-A413-ATSG-TRANSAXLE-SERVICE-OVERHAUL-REBUILD-MANUAL-/380580970092?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item589c64be6c&vxp=mtr

If your salvage units do not have the gear sets and rear differential trashed, (i.e. only clutch packs or seals shot), you can simply rebuild those too. There are a few resources on the web describing that.

Here is a low/reverse band:

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=A32024

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Agree, a used band is not a good idea, they tend to match themselves to the drum it holds and as touchy as a band is, the mismatch may eat up the band material in short order, putting you right back where you are right now. The front pump O ring is definitely needed, along with a pan gasket, two items which cannot be reused with any reliability, but inexpensive along with the band itself. You will need inside and outside snap ring pliers and other than that, hand tools, no other components need to be taken apart, manual is good, especially for the band adjustment. Since you are in there, I would recommend dismantling the valve body and clean it out at the same time, pieces smaller than a pin head sucked into the valve body can jam it up very quickly, so clean it well.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hello:

Is it the band or is it that 1"x2"x about 3/32" strip? I had a 3 speed in my 89 Caravan and lost the reverse. Dropped the pan and found this short band lying in 2 pieces stuck to the magnet. It is the connection between the band and the mechanism that actuates the band. If so, it is a piece of cake to repair. After I lost one for the second time, I purchased the part from Sonnax which is beefier. The hardest thing is to preload the band to 41 in-lbs and to keep the trans fluid from running into your eyes (I had to work under a set of jacks).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts