Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOw does one retain and install the 8 new overun clutch roolers + springs,back into unit without using the Loading tool L-4440?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
I've never tried it without the tool.
If you have a transaxle or tool shop that would let you rent it for an afternoon, would be the easiest way. Call around.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called several sources. Not only is the tool difficult if not impossible to find but this A670 has been discontinued & has been out of production for about 15 years, Demand has waned over the years they said.... hence the specialty tool supply.

I am wondering if a suitable piece of PVC or ABS roughly the same diameter as the the internal diameter of the internal surface the over run clutch assembly sits on, could be cut and used as a "sleeve" to retain the 8 pairs of springs and rollers. Liberal amount of Trans jel or vasoline could be used when loading these pairs to help keep them close to home. Then the long sleeve could be slipped into the centre, rollers/ springs loaded + lubed,aligned and assembly slowly moved to home position.

I will try this and let you know. It almost worked with a can whose diameter was near the same but out just enough for the rollers/springs to dance away and into the pan.

ImperialCrown said:
If you have a transaxle or tool shop that would let you rent it for an afternoon, would be the easiest way. Call around.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke with a transmission shop who recommended using liberal amounts of Vasoline petroleum jelly to hold the springs and rollers in place. I did just that and it worked! All springs and rollers were retained in position. The reverse band and strut were loosely installed first before sliding the overrun clutch into position. Although the reverse band was purposely set loose with plenty of play, I am finding it difficult to rotate the overrun clutch by hand. I am wondering

If vasoline gets onto the bronze bushing surface will it inhibit movement? Shouldn't the overrun clutch spin freely by hand with minimal resistance unless the verse band is engaged?

ImperialCrown said:

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
It should move fairly freely. One trick is to make sure that the zig-zag spring end contacting the roller is facing away from the drum and towards the case. This will prevent the sharp spring end from dragging on the drum as it rotates. You are using a factory service manual for this reassembly, right?
Vasoline should be ok as a lubricant/assembly grease, although there are specific transmission assembly lubes that may be safer when it dissolves into the ATF after the transmission is put in operation. Is liquid Vasoline considered a mineral oil? Check the bronze bushing and drum contact area for burrs or scratches.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using the ATSG 670 (31TH) series service manual.

At first,the drum was not turning freely in any direction. A returned to the garage tonight and was able to turn it by hand. But it only moves clockwise, not counterclock wise. Is this normal operation for the sprags to prevent counter-clockwise movement of the overrunning clutch clutch ??? I have backed off and removed the strut to eliminate any drag on the drum from the band. So... I will insert a piece of paper beneath the drum as a preventative measure to collect fallen rollers and zig zag springs and carefully remove the drum. It will have to be removed,inspected and I will coat bronze bushing with trans jel or ATF + .

The vasoline is a pertroleum based compound that should dissolve easily in the large volume of transmission fluid. I followed the illustration on the manual which should be the same as the illustration in the Chrysler S.M.

ImperialCrown said:
It should move fairly freely. One trick is to make sure that the zig-zag spring end contacting the roller is facing away from the drum and towards the case. This will prevent the sharp spring end from dragging on the drum as it rotates. You are using a factory service manual for this reassembly, right?
Vasoline should be ok as a lubricant/assembly grease, although there are specific transmission assembly lubes that may be safer when it dissolves into the ATF after the transmission is put in operation. Is liquid Vasoline considered a mineral oil? Check the bronze bushing and drum contact area for burrs or scratches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts