Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a smokin deal on a a833od on the weekend, didn't really need it but couldn,t pass it up, it was behind a slant six , dose anyone know if the gear ratio is the same as the v8? I think maybe 1st might be different, if so, any problem putting it behind a v8? ...future project

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Being as it is the A833OD aluminum case, it is the bellhousing that is different. I don't think the OD was ever placed behind a big block, but was available in small block and slant six. Tons of info on the net about it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok good, I will do some more research I am pretty sure they are the same though, except for the bell,s of course but I have the v8 one and all my projects thus far are small blocks and this these a833od,s work well with them,thanks

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Yeah, they work pretty well. The only weakness I have heard about them was the aluminum case tends to wear out the front bushing for the shaft the overdrive rides on, ovaling the front end of the aluminum case. The fix, I have seen, is to redrill the case and install a larger bushing, I think it was Mopar Performance that had an article on it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah thats a good site, much like Brewers which I have purchaced parts from in the past, they say the final ratio on the o/d,s is the same for all but I think 1st might be different, I will check further, no worries though it,s all hot rod stuff anyway, Dana, I havn,t had this problem myself yet and have had a few of these over the years but I will pull the side plate and inspect it soon, as I don't know what the mileage is on it, thanks

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
No, the weak spot from what I took from the repair article was that the shaft at the front side of the case itself gets ovaled out. I guess there is an oversized bushing that replaces the bushing and seal (they leak and pop out of 4th I guess), so it was just oversize drill the case and press the bushing in. Not saying all of them do this, but the article noted it was about the only failure with the aluminum case itself. I think the bellhousing basically covers the location when assembled.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks for the tips like I mentioned, I will pop off the side cover when time permits for inspection and go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts