Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a daily driver that's got more room, rides smoother and is automatic to counterbalance the Mustang 'Vert that's my only car at the moment... found this thing nearby.

1991 Chrysler Imperial with, yes, 54,000 miles. Icing on the cake? It's in a wonderful shade of "Grandma Gold". :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely everything works on it. Unfortunately, like on all of these cars it seems the front bumper filler panels are in the process of committing seppuku. Anyone know a source for replacements? I'm coming up short.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Car seat cover
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,543 Posts
Beautiful car, I own one myself. I have the issue with the bumper fillers falling apart as do almost all of them lol. There is a company that does it for the 80's Imperials but not the 90's ones. I can't think of the name atm, sorry.

Also buy it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful car, I own one myself. I have the issue with the bumper fillers falling apart as do almost all of them lol. There is a company that does it for the 80's Imperials but not the 90's ones. I can't think of the name atm, sorry.

Also buy it.
Oh, I am. Only 4k for a car in that condition and that mileage (even as old as it is) these days is hard to pass up. Other more desireable grandma-mobiles (Town Cars, Grand Marquis, Roadmasters, Fleetwoods) are so much more expensive now. Granted they're body-on-frame and V8/RWD, but still.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Also buy it.
One strange thing I noticed actually though... it's a '91 and everything I see online says they went to the 3.8 in '91, but this one has the 3.3 still.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Oh, I am. Only 4k for a car in that condition and that mileage (even as old as it is) these days is hard to pass up. Other more desireable grandma-mobiles (Town Cars, Grand Marquis, Roadmasters, Fleetwoods) are so much more expensive now. Granted they're body-on-frame and V8/RWD, but still.
They are enjoyable to ride and have enough "modern" technology in them for my tastes and perhaps yours. Also make sure the braking system is fully functioning as others will probably point out.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
You are going to have to find people parting the cars out for the bumper fillers. No body pieces or trim is reproduced for the Imperial, not the 1980s ones either.
There are lots of areas of concern on these cars, so keep an eye on these things:
1) Transmission
2) Anti-lock brakes
3) Rear or 4 wheel air suspension
4) Fuel rail leaks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are enjoyable to ride and have enough "modern" technology in them for my tastes and perhaps yours. Also make sure the braking system is fully functioning as others will probably point out.
The seller says she just had the entire braking system replaced. Not sure what she replaced it WITH exactly (I know the ABS stuff was an issue) but it works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is strange, must be a last minute production of it.
Yeah I don't know. Maybe I misread it but I'm pretty sure the intake had "3.3" stamped on it under the hood. It's got keyless entry too (albeit non-functional, I assume the remote needs a new battery?) which I think was a new-for-'91 feature? So it must be a 91.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
The seller says she just had the entire braking system replaced. Not sure what she replaced it WITH exactly (I know the ABS stuff was an issue) but it works.
Well that's great for the peace of mind. The 4k is reasonable then if they replaced it, properly. Yours might have the Bosch system like mine has since it still has the 3.3 in it? Otherwise it will have the Bendix system. Bosch system is better than the Bendix system, for what its worth.

Here's the site but they don't do any Imperials. I looked at them before and I swear they did it for the 80's Imperials. If it has keyless entry then it is defiantly a 91. My 90 does not have the keyless entry.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Any car build after March of 1990 (which means all 1991 models) has the Bendix 10 system.
You can tell if they just repaired or replaced by looking at the master cylinder. If it looks like the setup in this video, they fixed what was there:
If it's got a traditional master cylinder and booster then they did the conversion to regular brakes.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Does this mean that Older 300's / Chargers, Chevrolet Impalas, Ford Crown Victorias and Toyota Avalons don't count in this category?

I could testify that plenty of folks in that demographic group use those too. Just sayin'. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very nice Imperial! I am shopping/considering one of those myself. I wanted an older, bigger, Imperial but found them quite scarce.

The front bumper fillers are an issue on lots of these cars, I've noticed, and as noted in this thread, there don't seem to be any available.

I wonder--does anybody know anything about 3-D printing parts? I've read that's something that's available, but I never heard where. (And I don't doubt it being expensive!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any car build after March of 1990 (which means all 1991 models) has the Bendix 10 system.
You can tell if they just repaired or replaced by looking at the master cylinder. If it looks like the setup in this video, they fixed what was there:
If it's got a traditional master cylinder and booster then they did the conversion to regular brakes.
Looks like it was converted. Picked up the car today.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How are you liking it?
I mean it's a K-car so I'm not expecting the world! It rides well enough, though a sharp enough bump will bottom out the front suspension. Has enough power even with the 3.3 and the transmission seems fine. AC blows super cold. Brakes are mushy and meh but for considering how they're retrofitted it doesn't shock me. Gonna get batteries for the keyless entry tomorrow and hopefully that fixes that! I picked up a bluetooth tape adapter for the stereo and that's working fine. It does seem to have a hard start sometimes.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I mean it's a K-car so I'm not expecting the world! It rides well enough, though a sharp enough bump will bottom out the front suspension. Has enough power even with the 3.3 and the transmission seems fine. AC blows super cold. Brakes are mushy and meh but for considering how they're retrofitted it doesn't shock me. Gonna get batteries for the keyless entry tomorrow and hopefully that fixes that! I picked up a bluetooth tape adapter for the stereo and that's working fine. It does seem to have a hard start sometimes.
Well for an extended K car it gets the job done lol. Yes watch out for bumps as I have also noticed that sharp bumps will level out the shocks. I learned to slow down more if I anticipate a bump will do that, kinda annoying but oh well. I never had an issue with power while passing with the car. I think the engine is quite adequate. I read about the starters could give hard starts so maybe look into that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well for an extended K car it gets the job done lol. Yes watch out for bumps as I have also noticed that sharp bumps will level out the shocks. I learned to slow down more if I anticipate a bump will do that, kinda annoying but oh well. I never had an issue with power while passing with the car. I think the engine is quite adequate. I read about the starters could give hard starts so maybe look into that?
Definitely not a starter thing. It turns over fine. Just sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get going.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,251 Posts
A hard restart after sitting overnight might be a fuel pump check valve failing? If the rails & lines drain from sitting, the pump has the prime the system at the next start. This will be an extended crank-time to start. The check valve is serviced with the fuel pump, but I have seen in-line check valves spliced into the supply line.
One way to check for this is to roll the key to 'run'. you should hear the pump 'whirr' for a second. Turn the key off and proceed to then start the car. This initial priming of the fuel system may help starting.

It looks like the 3.3L to 3.8L was a running change during 1991:
Rectangle Font Art Circle Magenta

The fillers:
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Engineering

The automakers were experimenting with recyclable plastics during this time, with mixed results.

Googling 'Mopar 5263102' & 5263103 showed some hits.
Sliman's shows both fillers. Inquire first.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

1 - 20 of 45 Posts