Allpar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,274 Posts
Beautiful car, I own one myself. I have the issue with the bumper fillers falling apart as do almost all of them lol. There is a company that does it for the 80's Imperials but not the 90's ones. I can't think of the name atm, sorry.

Also buy it.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Oh, I am. Only 4k for a car in that condition and that mileage (even as old as it is) these days is hard to pass up. Other more desireable grandma-mobiles (Town Cars, Grand Marquis, Roadmasters, Fleetwoods) are so much more expensive now. Granted they're body-on-frame and V8/RWD, but still.
They are enjoyable to ride and have enough "modern" technology in them for my tastes and perhaps yours. Also make sure the braking system is fully functioning as others will probably point out.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The seller says she just had the entire braking system replaced. Not sure what she replaced it WITH exactly (I know the ABS stuff was an issue) but it works.
Well that's great for the peace of mind. The 4k is reasonable then if they replaced it, properly. Yours might have the Bosch system like mine has since it still has the 3.3 in it? Otherwise it will have the Bendix system. Bosch system is better than the Bendix system, for what its worth.

Here's the site but they don't do any Imperials. I looked at them before and I swear they did it for the 80's Imperials. If it has keyless entry then it is defiantly a 91. My 90 does not have the keyless entry.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I mean it's a K-car so I'm not expecting the world! It rides well enough, though a sharp enough bump will bottom out the front suspension. Has enough power even with the 3.3 and the transmission seems fine. AC blows super cold. Brakes are mushy and meh but for considering how they're retrofitted it doesn't shock me. Gonna get batteries for the keyless entry tomorrow and hopefully that fixes that! I picked up a bluetooth tape adapter for the stereo and that's working fine. It does seem to have a hard start sometimes.
Well for an extended K car it gets the job done lol. Yes watch out for bumps as I have also noticed that sharp bumps will level out the shocks. I learned to slow down more if I anticipate a bump will do that, kinda annoying but oh well. I never had an issue with power while passing with the car. I think the engine is quite adequate. I read about the starters could give hard starts so maybe look into that?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Some seriously good drugs.

I found the actual listing. Interior color combo is fantastic.

It's pretty much a brand new car. Love the color combo as well. Only grips I have about these cars are the tiny mirrors and the smaller rear windowshield.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The transmission gets a bad rap mostly because of people improperly using the wrong transmission fluid. Back then it relied upon ATF3 and now ATF4, no other transmission fluid should be used. It's otherwise rather dependable when serviced properly.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I really enjoy their "older" styling with modern interior and advancements. That was the appeal to me. They're unique vehicles and ignorant people treat them like trash.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Agreed. I lol'd when I first seen the "middle" seat up front in the car. Idk who could even fit in that tiny space. It's a 4 person car for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts