Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all
i have a problem and hope someone here can help.
i have a 2002 dakota, sxt, 3.9L, 5 speed manual
the problem is my abs and brake light go a few mins after i start driving. i've replaced the abs speed sensor, took off the neg to the bat and turned the key and stepped on the brake pedal to clear the computer....and still these to lights are on. it's driving me crazy lol
any suggestions......

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Check to see if you have working brake lights. Check the 10 amp brake light fuse in your fuse block inside the cab. On my 92 Dakota, if that fuse blows, it lights up both the brake warning light and the ABS warning light.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
And did you check all of the fuses?

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The ABS module can store fault codes. To end any more guess work, I would get the fault code read.
Some auto parts stores can now read ABS codes for free. It used to be only engine codes. Call around.
Although failed differential speed sensors are common, more ABS items (including connections and wiring) than just the speed sensor can set a fault code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i've not checked all the fuses....but i'll do that next.
i did go to pepboys and they said all they could check was the "check eng. light"...so i'll call around to see if i can find someone to do a free code reader.
what would happen if i just clipped the wires to these two lights???? it's an 11 year old truck, and although i would like to have everything working perfect on it...at the same time i don't want to put allot of money into it.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Then when you really have a brake failure, you will have no advance warning. Someone besides you could get hurt. NOT a good idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes your right...not a good idea for cutting the wires, i wont do that. checked all the fuses and they all check out ok.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Then there may be a problem at the ABS unit. Check wiring connections there, check brake fluid level and cleanliness.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
Then when you really have a brake failure, you will have no advance warning. Someone besides you could get hurt. NOT a good idea.
If the ABS fails, will the brakes still work normally--- as if ABS is not present?

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
dak4x4 said:
If the ABS fails, will the brakes still work normally--- as if ABS is not present?
On the systems on these trucks, yes. There were a few systems that don't work that way including some early Bosch and Bendix systems where the ABS pump also provided the boost for the power brakes. But these systems which use a traditional vacuum booster will still work as normal brakes if the ABS fails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts