Allpar Forums banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Got her done today. This is what replaced the Duracool:

Found out the hard way what the dye looks like on a white shirt. Decided to use my backup charging hose so I could charge from nothing and keep track of what was in there. The hose popped right off the low side fitting and sprayed HC-12A all over the place, including my face. So, I went and got the good hose with the partial can on it and charged that. Then I managed to get the bad hose on well enough to charge what was in that can. Finished off by charging the final full can only partway.

26 degree ambients, I immediately saw 13 degrees standing still at full fan, 11 at half fan. Gauge read 30 on the low side, dropping into the high 20s when the engine revved. That's more what I'm used to from the two New Yorkers. Got her out on the highway, she did 11-10 for a while and then hit 9.

I'm happy with this, but I need to see yet what it does in really hot weather. Seems encouraging right now, but I have no idea how much of this stuff actually made it in there. I need those manifold gauges so I can see what the high side is doing.

Disconnecting the relay will also happen another day.

The compressor still makes a fair bit of noise... it's still tempting to replace it.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I'm going to go ahead and call it fixed again for now. I ended up drilling out the center of the low side cap and then gluing a piece of bottle cap liner over the hole... that should cap the valve without pushing the stem in.

As for the fan relay - I still need it. The system just doesn't work properly unless the rad fans are on whenever the AC is on. The fans still don't run often enough if I just leave it up to the high pressure fan switch.

Cooling performance is as good as it's ever been to my recollection. We're at 27 degrees today... standing still, I saw temps down to 11 degrees with the blower on full. In town driving, it'll hover around 9-10 degrees with no trouble.This is way better than the system's best day on Duracool. Low side pressure is still around 30 at idle.

On to the next problem... getting the oil pan gasket done so it stops dripping oil everywhere.

61 - 62 of 62 Posts