Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,349 Posts
The ballast resistors simply prevent higher voltage from one place to another, reducing it to the electronic ignition which runs on 9.7v instead of 12v, so that one is OK. On the other side, wires going into a wiring harness doesn't give any indication of where they terminate or go to, so the wiring needs to be tracked down. I don't think it it can really do any harm reducing the voltage, but you could get a wiring diagram and rewire the coil properly, the Accel super coils are pretty good units.

·
Premium Member
20,349 Posts
A high speed miss can be a ton of things, but check for powder in the distributor around the parts, it can cause high speed spark jump (or shorting), to which it could also be the carb, and being a 1980, with all the sensors in the intake manifold, there would be a flow interference thing going on. If it is the manifold I believe it is, look at all the pipe plugs in the runners, the angles of some of the doglegs in it, and if you can understand anything about flow, picture where there may be hiccups through the runners and that may be your answer.

·
Premium Member
20,349 Posts
From the sounds of it, the original ballast resistor was one of the double plug ones and this is how they rewired it. You can remove the second resistor without a problem, get a wiring diagram and wire it properly. I have used several of the Accel coils and no, it doesn't need to have a ballast resistor at all. As far as the miss goes, can you give a more specific time it happens, or under what conditions it happens?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.